Applying for International Study?

I plan on attending an English University, though I am also open to any other British or Irish Universities as well. I understand that there will be many hoops to jump through for this, but I'm more than willing to do the extra work for it. Mostly I am looking for more information on the steps to studying fully abroad. I'm not really interested in spending just a semester abroad as part of an exchange programme, but rather attending for four, plus years. I have a passport which will be good past the year I will graduate, but I need to know what visas I will need to get for being a student and eventually a citizen as well. Are there separate visas for students and eventual citizens? What is the process of/time period for applying for citizenship? Money is also a factor, are there any specific scholarships for international students? Or setting up loans if need be. Also, any information on the standardised tests I will need to take, application process (format, time period, response etc) and just the general "run of things" would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.


Sorry, I should have clarified this; I want to first study there with my ultimate goal of becoming a citizen. So I guess I would begin as an international student, but my stay as a student would work towards the period for citizenship. If that makes a bit more sense or clarifies anything.

1 Answer

  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    Basically what you should do is find a university you want to apply to and they will almost certainly post all this information on their website.

    I studied abroad for two years in Canada and now I've been in Japan for almost two years. I can't say for sure about the UK/EU, but usually student visas are different and trivial to get if you are accepted to a school, although you still need to pay a visa fee typically. A visa and citizenship are fairly unrelated. A visa is something given to a person with a foreign passport to visit or live in a country for a set period of time.

    If you wanted to get citizenship, first you usually need residency which takes a few years, but you can probably qualify for after having a student visa and living in a country for a few years. Then after a longer period of residency you can apply for citizenship. In any case, citizenship is certainly not necessary for attending a university, and probably there are some advantages to *not* being a citizen while applying for school.

    Most schools and countries have specific financial aid and scholarships for international students, since usually number of international students is considered a valuable statistic that schools want to increase, so they promote bringing in foreign students. You didn't mention specific schools, and I don't know the details about the UK itself, but this is a general trend in the world. In this sense, your question is slightly confused because you are asking about the period to get citizenship and then you also want scholarship as an international student, which are mutually exclusive ideas.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.