Why is gold valuable?

From what I understand, gold has little strength and very few uses outside of some electronics and making jewelry, is that incorrect? Why is gold considered valuable? Because it looks cool? I mean at the end of the day, if the whole world gets thrown into anarchy for example, what are you really gonna be... show more From what I understand, gold has little strength and very few uses outside of some electronics and making jewelry, is that incorrect? Why is gold considered valuable? Because it looks cool?

I mean at the end of the day, if the whole world gets thrown into anarchy for example, what are you really gonna be seeking? Gold bars, or beef/water/flour/grain/etc? I can eat beef, I can't eat gold. Food and water keeps me alive, gold bars do not; they just look pretty in the corner. The only counter-statement I've heard so far is "Yeah, but I can buy alot of beef with gold!". Well if there's ever a major world disaster, that pushes many people into starvation and the like, doesn't gold become absolutely useless there? Wouldn't beef for example, be the new "gold standard"? You can't buy beef from a guy with your gold bars if he goes, "Um.. I can't eat the gold bars or do anything with them. I can eat this beef though and stay alive. Hahahah no thanks, have fun with your shiny bars! They do nothing for me, sorry".

So I don't really understand any of it at all.