Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Vanessa asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 1 decade ago

Is it really true that if you starve yourself to lose weight you will gain it all back?

I am so confused about this. My nutritionst told me that no matter how much weight i lose through starving myself, there is no way that i can maintain or hover atleast around that weight.......IF this is true, why is it that people like nicole richie who were anorexic are still skinny? She even had a baby for crying out loud and she is still so small? Can someone explain this to me truthfully, health concerns aside?

Thank you : )

31 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Hi Vanessa,

It is 100% true. The "starvation diet" is not for long-term weight loss. Of course if you stop eating you will lose weight but bear in mind that not only will it cause internal damage to your body, it will cause your glands that control the weight management hormones to go completely haywire. Your brain will send the signal that your body is starving and the second the body gets any food at all it will store it all as fat.

Never use celebs as examples because at least 80% of what you read and hear is fabricated. Nicole Ritchie is a naturally thin woman. She has a very tiny frame and is just naturally petite. She has never been overweight or even close to it. The stories about anorexia are tabloid tidbits which she has repeatedly denied and even admitted that it bothered her for this very reason. Young women trying to be as thin as she is by starving themselves.

Look, if you want/need to lose weight and you want to do it in a way that will last.. do it the right way. Clean up your diet and exercise. That's it. It takes time but is WAY easier than most think.

• larmon
    Lv 4
    5 years ago

It relies on the caloric consumption. One might very good have much less caloric consumption one week, and plenty top caloric consumption the following, leading to improved weight the moment week. You too can distribute that caloric consumption over a further time interval, however most commonly the larger the caloric consumption, the extra weight you'll achieve until you burn up the energy received by way of endeavor. Timing is just a aspect of the equation.

• 1 decade ago

If you make your body go into starvation it will change most of the food you eat into fat in order to store it as energy for later. This is a defense mechanism that our body has in order to keep us alive for longer in case we run out of food for a long period of time. So what will happen is you will gain weight in fat intially and if you continue then your body will start taking the energy out of your muscles in order to use it for nutrition which will make you lose muscles. You will get skinny but this is very unhealthy and you can die from this.

• 1 decade ago

They have numerous dietitians, nutritionist, and other health nuts helping them stay skinny. Usually what happens to people who starve themselves, is when they decide to eat they binge eat, meaning they eat a lot of food. So everything they just starved off comes right back. Listen to your nutritionist they probably know a little bit about dieting.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 5 years ago

Snap a photo of yourself once a week to know progress that will also increase your confidence level

• 5 years ago

people who eat breakfast have a better shot at losing and maintaining weight loss

• 5 years ago

fresh herbs can really zing up a healthy meal try growing some in the kitchen using a strawberry pot preserve the flavor by adding fresh herbs at the end of the cooking process

• 5 years ago

50 minutes of cross country skiing

• Billy
    Lv 5
    5 years ago

ride a bike built for two for 12

• 5 years ago

got nuts with nuts eating a handful of nuts will help you stay full try soaking them in water for a different texture

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.