Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsBaseball · 1 decade ago

Miracles dont happen in baseball... can you prove me wrong?

I'm a Cubs Fan BTW. I dont believe in Miracles. They never happen in this sport. personally I feel that the teams that win, actually do win. Like in 1991 When the Twins beat the braves in the World Series, it wasnt a miracle, it was because the Twins had home field advantage. If the game was played in Atlanta, it would be the Braves winning that game.

When Gibson hit that home run to win game one of the 1988 World Series, that was not a miracle, he got a pitch that any player *except maybe a Cubs player* can easily drive out of the ballpark.

I'll give you the 10 points if you can convince me of a time in MLB history where a miracle moment occurred.

• red
    Favorite Answer

The 1986 Mets dominated baseball for the entire season, and clinched the East division title two weeks before the season ended. The team was led by Darryl Strawberry and Doc Gooden, who were both considered among the best young players and many thought they would be among the best at their positions once they retired, despite having little experience. They also had brought in two former Major League MVP's in George Foster (who would be released in August) and Keith Hernandez before the season started to complete a loaded roster which was expected to dominate from the beginning.

The Mets faced the Astros in the National League Championship Series, which came down to the 6th game. In the 9th inning, the Astros blew a 3-0 lead, and the Mets advanced to their 2nd World Series.

The Mets faced the Boston Red Sox in the World Series, a team who had not won a World Series since 1918. The Red Sox were winning the series 3-2, when Game 6 was played the Mets were facing elimination.

Game 6 of the World Series that year would become one of the most famous games in baseball history. With the score tied 3-3, the game went to extras, where the Red Sox scored 2 runs in the top of the 10th inning to go up 5-3. In the bottom of the 10th, the Red Sox would come within one strike of winning the world series twice.

The first two Mets batters were retired, and the Red Sox had one out to go. The Mets then recorded 2 straight singles, and the stadium began to get excited. Eventual series MVP Ray Knight drove in the first run of the inning with another single. Mookie Wilson came up for the Mets, and was within one strike of recording the final out of the series. Boston's pitcher then threw a wild pitch, and another run came into score. The game was now tied with a man on second. In one of the most famous plays in sports history, Wilson hit a slow roller down to Boston first baseman Bill Buckner, who let the easy ground ball sneak through his legs, allowing Ray Knight to score and win the game.

The Mets won their second improbable World Series in game 7, earning the nickname "Miracle" Mets.

Is that a miracle or what? They were about to lose the World Series... but they won!

July 14th, 1914, the Boston Braves were 26–40, last place in the Division (and this was back when there were only two divisions), and 15 games behind the first place, New York, who had the best record in the league at the time. Over the next month the Braves went 41–12, then on September 7th and 8th, they took two out of three from the Giants to move into first place. Through Septemeber and early October, they only lost 6 games, and they won 25. They were the only team in baseball history to win the pennant (in the old division format), while being in last place on July 4th. Then, to top the season off, they swept the Philadelphia Athletics (by a large margin, the favorites) in the World Series. This remarkable season gave them the nickname the 1914 Miracle Braves.

If that isn't a miracle, I can honestly say I have no idea what is.

Also, have you ever seen Sid Bream's slid? Now, that happened before I was born, but to this day, my Daddy can't believe it really happened.

Depends what you mean by "miracle." If you mean the biblical definition: divine intervention makes something impossible happen, then I doubt it. Whatever higher powers exist out there, I don't think they're wasting their time altering the course of baseball games. And if that did happen, we'd never be able to prove it.

The 1988 home run was highly improbable, and it was a great story. That is probably the closest you'll come to a "miracle" in the sports sense. It is the same with the US Hockey team in 1980; it made a great story because the US and Russia were in the Cold War, and it was very unlikely because the Russians are better at hockey than us. So when we won, it seemed like a "Miracle on Ice."

So if that's your definition of a miracle, then miracles happen quite frequently. I would say there's at least one very compelling, very improbable story in baseball every year.

As for the 1991 Twins - I was 11 years old living in St. Paul, Minnesota during that series. There were no miracles involved. The Twins and Braves were both great teams. Someone had to win that series, and it happened to be the Twins. It wasn't a miracle, but it was awesome.

• Fungo

No I can't since I agree withi you. Miracles do not exist - they are only examples of low probability events that are bound to happen by chance from time to time.

Perfect games and no hitters are examples - everything positive has to work for the pitcher and his team mates to achieve either. That's why perfect games and no hitters are so rare.

The "Miracle Mets" ('69) were named by a sports announcer because it sounded good. The Mets fans then believed there was something beyond factual real life events that was making the Mets win games they were not expected to.

As a Cubs fan also, if there were "miracles", the Cubs would have won several World Series over the past 102 years. Reality trumps fantasy.

The 1969 Mets in which they never had a .500 season until 1969 and they never finished higher than 9th place in their divison before 1969. They swept the Braves in the NLCS in which no one thought they would even make the playoffs. When they got to teh World Series, they faced the Orioles with Brooks Robinson and Franks Robinson in which people thought it would be an easy sweep for the orioles but The Mets would win teh series an amazing 4-1 in which it was the most memorable and miracle team in baseball history

You'll have to define what you mean. Data clearly show that climate varies. Sea level moves up and down in response to the amount of ice tying up seawater. Even skeptics use the existing data to show warming and cooling in the recent past. See the .gif below. That we're warmer today than in the little ice age, just a short time ago, is unequivocal. That we're warmer than during the last glaciation is also hard to refute. The issue is how much we have to do with it. Maybe a little, maybe a lot. I suspect your question is better rephrased "What if human emissions were suddenly shown to be at most a minor driver of our current climate shifts?" Well, we might have a redirection of political and social will away from blaming emissions and into dealing with inevitable climate variation. We're stuck with climate change, as we always have been. Places get wetter and drier, warmer and colder. Regardless of the driver, we'll have to put up with drier conditions where I live. But I'm on jungle soils, and it's not jungle yet. And if I head up into the mountains I see periglacial effects, and that kind of cold isn't likely, either. But running such a large experiment (massive emissions of gases into the atmosphere) on our only planet isn't a good idea. I rather like (regardless of the role of our emissions in warming) taking an energy independence approach. Lamar Alexander's proposal for an energy independence Manhattan Project seems excellent. Would get the country cheaper to run in the long term, which is a good thing.

Bill Buckner was close to a miracle for the opposing team. Carlton Fisk game winning home run in the '75 World Series was like a miracle.

I agree with you. None of these are miracles. Just someoen got a clutch hit or someone made an error. No miracles. A miracle would be someone flying 40 feet in the air to catch a ball or someone who can't see suddenly getting sight. Someone letting the ball go through his legs is not a miracle.

1969 New York Mets

1991 Atlanta Braves

1914 Boston Braves

2004 Boston Red Sox (AL Championship Series)

In 1995, the Astros charged no admission to a Friday night game.

Really! It was against the Phillies on 12-May-1995, it was a gimmick to coax fans back after the strike, the Astros lost the game, 5-2, and the attendance was far from a sellout (about 30,800 of a capacity of over 54,000 in the Astrodome).

But it really happened.