Deleted asked in PetsDogs · 10 years ago

Experiences with dogs and heart failure?

My 12 year old Maltese x Silky Terrier has heart failure, and hasn't been drinking or eating. The vet said that he treated a dog that lived for 4 years after it was diagnosed with heart failure. Has anyone had any experiences with dogs and heart failure? How long did they live after they were diagnosed? What was their quality of life like? I'm just trying to get a better idea of what's happening.

Update:

cjrossi- It's CHF. I wouldn't do anything based on the answers here, it's my mums decision what happens. I'm just wanting some experiences to give me a better idea of what could happen.

Update 2:

Nikko- This is the second night she's been at the vet, she's on an IV.

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

    My Papillon Jay was diagnosed with an enlarged heart, was put on meds for it, and died less than a month later. My heart is still aching for him.

    Three weeks ao, my older Papillon Cricket was diagnosed with a moderate heart murmer. She, too is on meds, (enalapril and lasix). So far so good for her, but I live in fear of losing her the same way I did Jay. I wish you the best with your girl.

    • 6 years agoReport

      I feel your hurt. I just lost my 6-month old Pap Hemingway. I found out, as he lay dying, after some x-rays were taken that he had an enlarged heart. I took him to the emergency vet because his blood sugar got low and when he didn't respond properly to Nutrical or syrup.

    • Login to reply the answers
  • 4 years ago

    1

    Source(s): Secret To Destroy Diabetes - http://DiabetesCure.raiwi.com/?kQZC
    • Login to reply the answers
  • Mary
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

    My dog is 20 & for the past 9months our vet hasnt known how she is still alive-she has no heartbeat - just a wish wash sound.She has a great quality of life,eats & drinks well & runs around.She occasionally coughs but not to the extent that she needs to be on diaretics. I would wait & see how your dog goes-ask your vet if you can at least try heart tablets & if she's coughing use diarettics.I think you will know if putting her to sleep is the right thing,if she seems depressed or stressed or is collapsing you might be close to that but dogs can live a long time with heart failure.

    • Login to reply the answers
  • 4 years ago

    The owner of the dog needs to know how to "operate" the dog, same way you can get into a car that's in perfect running order but if you don't know how to drive you won't have much luck making the car go anywhere. If the owner doesn't know how to maintain the training, the dog will soon become untrained again. Read more here https://tr.im/qadDG

    People seem to think that once a dog is trained, that's it. Not true. You must reinforce the dog's training every single day in some way. It's best if the owner and the dog go together to get trained. As a professional trainer once said to me "We can train any dog in 2 days. It takes longer to train the owners

    • Login to reply the answers
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 10 years ago

    My dog had this and lived 5 years after she was diagnosed,she had other complications like a cough (consistent with heart failure) and would pass out when she would cough. She was on medication and lived a healthy enough life although near the end she had a rough time and as we sadly were bringing her up to be put down she went on her own terms. It's heartbreaking but with the right care you will get another few years. Get another opinion off another vet BTW

    • Login to reply the answers
  • The meds for dogs with CHF are years behind where they should be. I think there should be research done with the drug Coreg and dogs. I think it's mainly because they figure "oh it's a dog who'd pay for these meds". Ask the vet what meds she's on and what each drug does. Vasodilators, beta-blockers, diuretics...I may call my vet just to get an idea of the drugs they typically use on dogs.

    • Login to reply the answers
  • 10 years ago

    Sorry to hear that Emile.I had a Pekingese that lived to 15 with a heart murmur.She was put on meds at 7 yrs and she did very well.Is your dog on meds?? Is there anything the Vet can give her?? Usually water pills along with another pill for the heart,sorry I can't remember what it was cld.They have made so much headway that I would ask if there is something she can be on to make her comfortable.Signs to watch out for is coughing,panting,sleeping a lot,loss of bladder control,refuses to eat or play..'ADD..Aww I'm so sorry to hear that,I did'nt know she was at the Vets,you did'nt say that..I'm just giving you what I dealt with but she was never hospitalized for it..Hope she gets better..Sorry..

    • Login to reply the answers
  • 10 years ago

    it depends. there are different types of heart failure

    for example; 'congestive heart failure' - can take years to kill. My gramma had it for like 10 yrs.

    this is a conversation you really, really, need to be having with none other than your vet. do NOT put your dogs life in the hands of the crackpots in here.

    ADD: OK so if by CHF u mean 'chronic' or 'congestive' - it's really going to depend on your own individual dog's experience with it. He could have several good years left - or not. If he's not drinking or eating right now - that's a little worrisome.

    My cats have CRF and with treatment (sub-Q fluids every other day) they've lived 2 good years so far.

    Here's hoping your dog stabilizes and you have years instead of days left w/him!

    • Login to reply the answers
  • 10 years ago

    My grandmother had a Kerry Blue Terrier that had heart failure, i am not sure about the exact ages or timeframes but it was at least two years between the dog being diagnosed and him passing away, when he did pass away it was after a diagnosis of cancer.

    The quality of life the dog had was really the same as always, it wasn't a particularly active dog and my grandparents kept him primarily just as a watchdog and my uncle was the one who walked him etc. I was young at the time but i cannot remember him changing much after the diagnosis but i never lived with him, just visited.

    I'll hope for the best with your dog.

    • Login to reply the answers
  • Yes...Our dog was 13 when he died from heart failiure...He was suffering so we decided it was best to put him down... We rescued him from a shelter...He was left on a motorway because there was something wrong with his jaw which made him look like the beast from beauty and the beast...The shelter was going to put him down because nobody wanted him because of what he looked like...

    He was a very nice dog and my parents didn't care about his jaw...

    He had 10 great years with us...

    We got him when he was 3 years old and I don't think that he was diagnosed until he was about 10...To be honest I don't really remember because I was a kid..

    Plus the breeders bred him from a dog which had a heart problem so we think that's why he died from it..

    • Login to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.