R. G asked in Science & MathematicsMedicine · 1 decade ago

Autism - Vaccination controversy?

First off, I agree with mainstream science that there isn't compelling evidence that autism is caused by vaccinations.

However, Mutter's 2005 article, "Mercury and autism: Accelerating Evidence?" appears to dispute this. He concluded that "repetitive mercury exposure...is one potential pathogenetic factor in autism". Here is the link to the article: http://www.uniklinik-freiburg.de/iuk/live/forschun...

I am interested in learning if this article has been refuted or not?

Patricia, thanks for your input, but I should have clarified my question better. I'm looking for a *credible source* that specifically addresses *this article,* not anectodal evidence nor opinions (and this is not saying that your opinion doesn't matter!) on the vaccination controversy in general.

Again, I'm looking for a *credible source* that refutes or supports *this article.*

Favorite Answer

Here's a recent meta-analysis of around 20 studies worldwide on the autism/vaccination link (yes, the studies exist, despite all the anti-vaccine nuts saying that they don't and that there's some big cover-up): http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/doi/full/10.1086/... . Aside from the original, retracted and universally criticized Wakefield paper published in the Lancet, NONE have shown a link between routine childhood vaccinations and autism. Basically all "evidence" to the contrary cited by people now are either anecdotal, or from sources out of mainstream, peer-reviewed scientific journals - it just gets a lot of press because there are a lot of celebrity endorsements.

Regarding the specific article you cited - to my knowledge, it has not been retracted - however, it also does not specifically link vaccines to autism either. It points out a correlation between mercury exposure and autism - thimerosol in vaccines is only a very minor source of mercury, and in fact, it is gone from childhood vaccines in the US (except for influenza vaccine given to older children, and some non-standard variations of DTaP). As the article points out, exposure in utero to mercury from the mother eating fish, or environmental exposure, etc. can be much more significant sources. Also, I didn't read the associated studies themselves so I could be wrong, but in animal studies to determine the toxicity of different chemicals, the dosages are many times in excess of what a human would normally be exposed to, because the studies are designed to maximize the potential injury caused by a substance (the link between artificial sweeteners and cancer is an example of this). In terms of the link between mercury and autism, as far as I know, chelation treatments to "remove toxins" as treatment for autism is still pretty much fringe science, but at the same time, I don't think there is definitive evidence saying that environmental toxins are NOT the cause of autism either, so I guess that is still an area up for debate and study.

Dr. Andrew Wakefield was the forefather of this theory and he just had his license to practice medicine in the UK revoked.

I am the father of a child with a few complications on the autism spectrum, so I don't easily dismiss such theories. But for some reason, the medical board found his research to be unethical and displaying professional misconduct.

I'm inclined to believe there is some legitimacy to this theory because when I was growing up eons ago there was nothing like autism. I don't mean that it just wasn't diagnosed properly but that I never saw any child that showed symptoms anything like autism and neither does anyone else my age that I know of.