My Dad had a massive stroke, they say he will die, but he hasn't yet.?

He was in the hospital for about 9 days. They did tests on him and said without a feeding tube he would die because he can't swallow. Most of his left side is paralyzed. He's at home now on hospice care. We've had him home now for almost nine days, and he isn't dead, because he has learned to... show more He was in the hospital for about 9 days. They did tests on him and said without a feeding tube he would die because he can't swallow. Most of his left side is paralyzed. He's at home now on hospice care. We've had him home now for almost nine days, and he isn't dead, because he has learned to swallow without choking. They still tell us he is going to die. He is 88 years old and I know any recovery he makes will be minimal but he says he wants to live. If he wants to live, why are they telling us he won't ?