Who do you think will replace Gen. McChrystal?

It is a shame that he is most likely going to resign. He already handed Obama his resignation, but Obama hasn't publicly accepted it.

Who do you think is in the running to replace him as the commander of ISAF?

• Your
    Favorite Answer

Well according to protocol someone from another country would have to be the commander. However... I truly believe, as well as NATO, think that it will be another American.

General "Mad Dog" Mattis gets my vote. He's currently the Commander of US Joint Forces Command. He was the Commanding General of I MEF before that. He was also in command of Task Force-58... yes... the first Marine to command a Naval Task Force in combat, which included Marines, SEALs, and Soldiers.

n a nutshell, General Mattis is a COIN expert and he has a tremendous reputation as a warfighter. I believe that everyone can agree that maybe he is a bit outspoken, but he can DEFINITELY get the job done. He believes it is unacceptable to not fight at 100%. Which we are doing now.

See: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_l1f3lSb0E

Youtube thumbnail

May I quote CBN... "Gen. Mattis is a no-bull commander who feels no compulsion to defeat the enemy without offending him. If he becomes the new commander, we just may see a quick turnaround on the ground in Afghanistan."

The word in the sand is that Petreus has already talked to Mattis about the job. As Loren Thompson said, “This guy is a very blunt, clear thinker. He thinks big ideas and doesn’t suffer fools.”

When a General told Mattis to stop an assault in Iraq because of many casualties, Mattis shouted "IF YOU ARE GOING TO TAKE VIENNA TAKE F***ING VIENNA." And sure enough.. they won the fight.

But my favorite Mattis quote is what he said to an Iraqi tribal leader: "I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery. But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes: If you f*** with me, I'll kill you all."

Many Marines believe he is the greatest General since Chesty Puller. I too believe that

Mike, that wont happen. Even though I have a high respect for that guy... Wont happen for numerous reasons.

Plus, Mattis has the experience for these type of wars. He is an expert in true COIN. Not the wannabe COIN we are seeing with conventional forces. He's talking SOF COIN.

Source(s): 3/5 (1997) 15th MEU (1997 - 1999) 1st Force Recon Co. (1999 - 2005) MARSOC (2006 - Present)

General James Mattis, the outgoing head of the US Joint Forces Command and due to retire after being passed over as US Marine Corps commander, and Lieutenant General William Caldwell, commander of NATO’s Training Mission in Afghanistan are supposedly under consideration.

I think it should be the commander of all special operation soldiers, LTG John F Mulholland. LTG Mulholland was commander of the SF 5th group that went into Afghanistan right after 911 and defeated the taliban. This war is a special operations war and needs some one with this perspective.

• d375

Please God not Mulholland...SF or not, he can't play the political game in my opinion.

And Afghanistan is a much different war than Iraq. It needs to be somebody who understands the SOCOM machine and its capabilities.

Its a bloody shame that the only man who dares to say the truth gets in to so many problems about it.

American incompetent murderers.