Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 1 decade ago

So I thought all American citizens had freedom of speech without being punished?

Why is this General who is a clear American citizen, and he is what 3-star or 4-star? He clearly gave his sweat, blood, and tears. So he says one bad thing about the government and he may lose his job? Excuse me if this sounds a bit wrong, but he is being punished for excercising his right to freedom of speech? Doesn't that sound a bit "Dictatorship" to you? I mean the last time I heard something like this I was reading a book about Nazism in Germany.

Why is someone being punished for excercising their right to freedom of speech?

He loses his job over a few comments, yet he gave years of himself to his country.

Favorite Answer

Article 88 of the Uniform Code of Military Justice -

“Any commissioned officer who uses contemptuous words against the President, the Vice President, Congress, the Secretary of Defense, the Secretary of a military department, the Secretary of Transportation, or the Governor or legislature of any State, Territory, Commonwealth, or possession in which he is on duty or present shall be punished as a court-martial may direct.”

It is well known that you do not have freedom of speech in the Army - especially about your superiors and especially in public!

And why is the Secretary of Transportation singled out. Does that mean I can badmouth the Secretary of Labor or Interior without worrying?

I'm assuming you are a common citizen, who pays attention to some daily headlines , and after an hour or less of reading/watching this event unfold you feel you are ready to question the intentions of both the president and his top commander in Afghanistan. Well , heres some information I think you should pay attention to. The Gen. handed in his resignation before he even met the president. What does that piece of info tell you????? Also, the president is the commander in chief, head of all the armed forces, while freedom of speech is by virtue an American right, one must also realize that insulting your boss on the international stage does have implications, especially when you directly answer to him. Its like being the quarter back of a great football team, and you decide to mouth off to your coach....what do you think is going to happen. Personally, I feel the president will not accept the Gen. resignation, but again I actually pay attention to the news and read between the lines. You are either really young or really old....I pity you.

You are so off the path. You will be followed by a million people asking the same question. Get this in to yours heads:

He should've been fired for covering up the truth in Pat Tillman's death. And now he should be court martialed.

Here is Article 88 of the Uniform Code of Military Justice:

Any commissioned officer who uses contemptuous words against the President, the Vice President, Congress, the Secretary of Defense, the Secretary of a military department, the Secretary of Transportation, or the Governor or legislature of any State, Territory, Commonwealth, or possession in which he is on duty or present shall be punished as a court-martial may direct.

Regardless of position or free speach, you cannot talk about the president, congress, VP, secretary of defense, etc without consequence i.e. court-martial. He was in the wrong regardless of his political belief. You do not exercise it through your position. Something along the lines of Truman-MacArthur comes to mind. The reridiculousness of these questions will not stop, please educate yourself. It is a travesty on McCrystal's part, who would voluntary interview for a national slap in the face and career hurting measure? He wanted out or will soon find himself out.

• Irene

American citizens do not have absolute freedom of speech. The First Amendment only says government cannot pass laws regulated the free exercise of speech. You can still be held accountable for what you say. This general who could possibly lose his job is no different than any other American who could potentially be fired for publicly bad-mouthing their employer.

• meg

People in the Military do not have the same right as citizens, they can not quit if the don't like their job or nor show up for work if they are having a bad day, The can not engage in partisan political activity and the are forbidden from making public statement contrary to official Government policy.

That being said even an employee of a Corporation would loose his job if he criticized the CEO to a reporter and it got published and caused an uproar.

• Tim

Political correctness killed free speech a long time ago. You only have the right to free speech as long as no one finds what you're saying offensive or disagrees with what you have to say.

Military service members do not enjoy all the protections in the Constitution. In fact, if McChrystal's job is at risk for criticizing the government, he should consider himself lucky. An enlisted soldier could actually be imprisoned under the UCMJ for criticizing him. This cannot happen to a civilian, but military service members do not enjoy the freedom of speech you think they do.

Having said all that, I hope he will survive this. He is a good general to finally finish what we started in AFG.

Liberals seem to think if your a soldier you are just supposed to shut up and die.

This is not true. Every soldier has the responsibility to speak up against a commanders orders or actions if those actions or orders will cost the lives unnecessarily.

A top commander has no chain of Command after the President so if he disagrees his only alternative is the press.

McChrystal just wants to save the lives of his men and wants the world to know what a boob the Commander in Chief is.

1047 died over the 8 years of Bush in Afghanistan

807 have died in the 1 year and a half of Obama in Afghanistan

*revised since written 811 died

Obama`s causality numbers are 7 times higher.

Obama sent half the men, considered by his Generals, necessary to win.

Obama does not want to win. McChrystal does.

Aside from military limits on freedoms, I'll simply say:

I have not read the Rolling Stone's article; I have not vetted any of the information contained therein; and the only evidence I have to go on is that the author is probably biased and the members of the media are having orgasms because they don't have to go out and do any real journalistic work.

Hey Read the Article, he is not being fired for anything he said... in fact he was only quoted one time in the article... This is about allowing Rolling stone sit around for weeks, and hearing office complaints, and pet peevs...

It has nothing to do with freedom of speech.