How often do you have to renew vehicle registration in Arkansas?

I just moved to this state, and so far the various offices for vehicle registration have been very unhelpful. It took me three weeks to figure out I had to go to a revenue office to register a car and they won't give me any information until I go to the tax assessor, I'm debating just selling the car, I am trying to estimate yearly expenses. The tax/registration process in this state is so different than any where else I have lived.

Favorite Answer

I found this information at the Unofficial DMV Guide's website - I would call (and try to get someone whom will actually be friendly and helpful, as difficult as that may be - remember, they work for the government - haha) to make sure this information is correct:

"Determine the Status of Your Registration

You must renew your registration every 12 months.

Renew AR Registration

It's against the law to drive with an expired registration for any amount of time.

Also, at renewal time, officials will check the status of your auto liability insurance coverage. If it's not current, you won't be able to renew your registration. So, if you need to obtain coverage, or are simply looking for a new provider, visit our Insurance Center to easily find carriers.

Scroll down to the "Check Your Renewal Notice" to learn about your renewal options.

Register a Vehicle in AR for the First Time

Did you just buy a car, or move to the state? If so, you'll need to complete an initial vehicle registration. Just see our Car Registration article to find out how to do so.

Check Your Renewal Notice

A few weeks before your registration expires, you should receive a renewal notice in the mail. However, you don't need to have this notice to renew. And, if you didn't receive it, you still must renew on time. If you're concerned about not receiving your notice, call the Office of Motor Vehicles (OMV) at (501) 682-4630.

The mailing contains helpful information, such as your fee amount as well your renewal identification number (RIN) and verification code. Don't look for information about an emissions inspection; even though the Arkansas Department of Environmental Quality (ADEQ) provides information about your vehicle and air quality, you don't have to get your vehicle inspected.

Calculate Your Fees

Registration fees vary by the vehicle. Your renewal notice should list your fees.

Other fees related to your vehicle―though not its renewal―are car insurance payments. Renewal time is an excellent opportunity to review your insurance rates, and see if your premiums are in line. An easy way to compare rates is to use our Insurance Center.

Avoid Late Fees and Penalties

If you're tardy with your renewal, you must pay a $3 late fee for every 10 days you missed the deadline, unless you're willing to sign an affidavit at the revenue office stating you didn't drive the vehicle after the registration expired.

Renew Online, In Person, By Mail or By Phone

Renew Online

1.Have your registration renewal card and your vehicle's odometer reading handy.

2.Make sure you know your RIN and verification code.

3.Be ready to pay your fees through your checking account, or with your valid Visa, MasterCard, American Express, or Discover Card credit card.

4.Go to Streamline Auto Renewal (STAR) and begin.

Renew In Person

1.Gather your tax assessment, proof of insurance, and current registration or renewal card.

2.Have the means to pay your fees.

3.Go to your local revenue office or select Wal-Mart locations.

By Mail

1.Locate your renewal notice.

2.Follow the instructions on the notice.

3.Enclose the necessary paperwork and fee payment and send everything to:

Department of Finance and Administration

Office of Motor Vehicle

P.O. Box 3153

Little Rock, AR 72203-3153

By Phone

1.Have your renewal notice handy.

2.Be prepared to pay the renewal fees.

3.Call (888) 389-8336 and follow the instructions provided.

Affix Your Stickers

Be sure follow the enclosed instructions to properly attach your renewal decals on your tags.

Get a Tax Deduction

On your federal tax return, you may deduct the personal property tax that's associated with your vehicle's estimated value. Please contact a tax attorney for assistance.

Do Your Part to Keep Our Roadways Safe

It's great to have your renewal process behind you. However, you still need to do your share to keep the state's roads safe for you and other drivers. Maintaining your vehicle in the best possible condition is one good way to do this.

Start with regular tune-ups, oil changes, and tire rotations. Make sure to replace your tires as soon as the tread depth wears down to a point where your traction is affected. Find a qualified, reliable mechanic who can take care of these matters, and keep an eye out for other problems.

Consider buying an after-market warranty, which will allow you to manage major repairs in stride. And, join a roadside assistance program to help you safely handle emergency situations."

I hope you found at least SOME of this helpful. I couldn't really find too much information from the state's website though so unfortunately, I think you'll have to try calling again. Don't give up! ; ) Good luck!

Vehicle Registration Arkansas

Arkansas Vehicle Registration

1

Source(s): Vehicle History Report Database - http://vehiclehistory.siopu.com/?Jndq

Get Your Vehicle History Reports!

I usually renew mine like 10 working days before it expires.