From F-1 Visa to Green Card?

I've just enlisted in the Army and i want to marry my long time girlfriend who is here on a F-1 visa. I wanted to know the step by step process for getting her a Green card and allowing her to legally work in the USA. Please list all forms we need to submit, aprox. costs and any other tasks we need to complete. Thank you!!

4 Answers

  • J
    Lv 5
    10 years ago
    Best Answer

    Simple and easy. After you get married, you guys can apply for her adjustment of status by submitting these forms:

    I-130 (Petition for Alien Relative)

    I-485 (Adjustmend of Status)

    I-765 (Employment Authorization Document/Work Permit)

    I-693 (Medical Exam and Vaccinations with Civil Surgeon)

    I-864 (Affidavit of Support along with your (as in you, the US citizen) most recent income tax forms

    G-325a (Biographical Information)

    Send all of those at the same time if you don't want any delays. If either of you are attentive to detail and able to read instructions very well, consulting a lawyer isn't really necessary, especially since she is in the country legally anyway.

  • Anonymous
    3 years ago

    Your uncle isn't really a close enough relative to do the typical familial sponsorship. What you're talking about would take many, many years to process and your F-1 will likely be expired by then. So whether you try to do that or you try to get a US employer willing to sponsor a work visa you'll still have to return home after your studies then re-enter on the new visa type.

  • 10 years ago

    Try this link ->

    You also can look at the USCIS website since they have all that info there also, although of course it is a government department, so it's not very user-friendly *L*

    I would strongly advise you to find an immigration lawyer to speak with (look for one that gives FREE consultations!) just so you can have the process explained and know a little bit more about what it waiting down the road for you guys. It's a faster process if you get married and then apply for a change-of-status for her rather than trying to do it before you get married. BTW.

    Good luck...don't take any one person's advice....check and cross check so you can navigate with confidence, if not ease.

  • Anonymous
    10 years ago

    make sure there is no 2 year HSS on her visa

    if clear

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.