what kind of oil for a 2002 Hyundai Accent?

Own a 2002 Hyundai Accent with 82,000 miles. Lost owners manual and trying to figure out recommended oil for the car. Live in central Florida, and travel about 35 miles to work...one way. I've heard 5w-20, 5w-30, 10w-30.... I would really like a straight answer!!!!!

Favorite Answer

10W30 as per HMC (Hyundai Motor Company)

****EDIT****

"Jonathan S"... What have you done good for people lately? Its amazing that there is no record of good faith in your answers to YA askers and based on your previous posted answers, you are using a lot of irony, sarcasm and belligerence combined with lack of knowledge. I hope you will never apply to my dealership for a job. Looks like you have not been trained properly and its sad to see this from a Hyundai dealer perspective. I have an old saying for you: "In a forest are a lot of dry branches and you are one of the biggest stick possible". You don't have to be a smart *** in order to see that HMC have introduced 5W20 with 2006 models. We are talking here about a 2002 model!!! Prior to 2006 HMC have used 10W30 on all models. Your sarcasm does not encourage anybody to take your advise and more so... doesn't make you smarter. Hope you get the message.

Following was selected from Owner Manual as per HYUNDAI Motor Company:

RECOMMENDED LUBRICANTS

Parts Specifications

Engine oil

API Classification SG Above (SAE 10W/30)

API Classification SH Above (SAE 7.4W/30)

Manual transaxle

API Classification GL - 4 (SAE 75W/90)

Automatic transaxle

GENUINE HYUNDAI transaxle oil, GENUINE DIAMOND ATF SP - III

Brake

DOT 3 or DOT 4

Cooling system

High quality ethylene glycol

- Concentration level 40% (tropical)

- Concentration level 50% (tropical)

Power steering

PSF - 3

Hope this will help "Asker" to take proper decision.

Source(s): Hyundai GURU
  • gaynor

2002 Hyundai Accent L

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Source(s): kind oil 2002 hyundai accent: https://shortly.im/JjZiG
  • haeder

Hyundai 2002

I am going to have to agree with "Hyundai Guru" on this one. "Jonathan S" is wrong. I have a 2003 and it calls for 5w/30 not 5w/ 20 and my 2007 calls for 5w/20. You are talking about a 2002 so in that year the oil will be different than the newer cars. Look on your oil cap as it is printed on mine what weight of oil to use.

• Carl P

I use 5w-30 in my 2008 accent

per the book. but I have almost no mileage yet.

http://www.accent-club.ru/club/accent_manual.pdf

go to page 6-4

for your temp range follow the chart.

NOTE:

SAE 5W-20 is not recommended for sustained

hlgh speed vehicle operation. page 6-4 of the manual above.

fully synthetic engine oil for petrol engines. i worked in hyundai ireland we recommended castrol oil

don't forget to change the oil filter the car takes 3.6 ltrs of oil

Source(s): hyundai ireland

Your manual says 5w-20... not 10w30, 5w-30,0w-20,15-w40, or anything else... it says 5w-20.

These are not engines built in the 60's so stop thinking that you have to change the oil thickness with age. just use 5w-20.

Source(s): Hyundai Technician. And the other "service" person or whatever that said use 10w-30.... yeah.... about that....

being its around 82k you need to use thicker oil step it up to 10w-40 being FL is so hot, the hotter the climate the thinner the oil gets...so skip 10w.30 and go to 10w-40..