Why do some Republicans think that BP should blow up the well with dynamite?

15 Answers

Relevance
  • 10 years ago
    Best Answer

That was (and still is) Republicans' approach to the economy, too...inherit a $321 billion dollar SURPLUS from President Bill Clinton and then BLOW IT UP into HUGE HUGE DEFICITS during the 2001 through 2007 period of TOTALITARIAN REPUBLICAN CONTROL of all branches of government. They followed the nutty Grover Norquist plan on economics, which advocates running up vast deficits as a way to "shrink government" and "cut spending" (he means on Democratic-base social programs and safety nets) while giving huge deregulation-generated multi-million dollar salaries to the already rich, revenue-losing tax cuts for the already rich, and multi-million dollar bonuses to fatcat greed-driven bankers, Wall Street bigwigs, Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac CEOs, crooked and cruel insurance executives, et al., who bet against this nation in the derivatives markets, drove this nation to the very BRINK of financial RUIN, and who bankrupt their respective companies. See? Their theory is BLOW UP THE ECONOMY to STOP THE FLOW OF MONEY TO THE MASSES, so they now figure this might work with the flow of oil, too. I'd say LOL here, but there's just nothing funny about Republicans' continued push for the same FAILED VOODOO-REAGANOMICS patterns and policies that include DEREGULATION (which removes all environmental/consumer protections and eliminates oversight), PRIVILEGES, as in only $75 million in capped penalties (and GOP apologies) FOR THE WEALTHY ELITE (i.e., BP, the fourth wealthiest corporation in the world too cheap to spend what was needed for backup systems), and all the other upside-down SUPPLY-SIDE elephant dung economics that brought this great nation closer to COMPLETE RUIN and to THIRD WORLD STATUS (thanks to all their OUTSOURCING of American jobs). There's even one right-wing nutcase who wants to use "nuclear power" (featured on "The Rachel Maddow Show" on MSNBC) to "fuse" the leaking pipe, which he claims is "totally safe" after first admitting he doesn't know much about the levels of pressure at so deep a level (there is a consternated LOL to be had in here somewhere, accompanied by a disbelieving headshake that anyone would even suggest such a stupid thing). Typical Republican spiel: Make things worse in the hope of making things better, then rely on SPIN from Faux to disclaim any failures and project blame onto Democrats.

• minx
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

nicely this recent bypass around on the pink meat barrel wheel specific does beat the drum for worldwide recommendations to an ecological nightmare. dazzling to work out Obama's flexing those super foreign places relatives he promised to repair while became Prez. dazzling to work out the worldwide coming mutually in this one. BP's asserting the would desire til Christmas to cap this spewing nightmare. this could be Obama's waterloo if he isn't careful.

• 10 years ago

I seriously doubt that stopping the leak and sealing the well is beyond the intelligence of the human Race. I suspect there are other factors preventing this from happening. I don't think dynamite is way to seal it.

• The left complain that Republicans have no solutions for plugging the damn hole , but when they suggest an idea that has been effective in some cases and should be scientifically looked at to see it's viability, the left just scoffs at it. Well at least they are giving some suggestions.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 10 years ago

while everyone is jaw jacking about sending explosives to destroy the well....did anyone stop to think about getting them down there in the first place? The canister they send it down will first have to be strong enough to withstand 5K feet of pressure under water..then have enough force to not only break the case it is sent down in but to destroy the well....I don't see this as being a feasible solution at this depth. They say the well is at 12k PSI ....that's a lot of pressure folks....

• 10 years ago

The second paragraph answers your question nicely:

"Rep. Phil Gingrey (Ga.), who sits on the House Energy and Commerce Committee that grilled BP CEO Tony Hayward last week, said that he has had knowledgeable people advise him that the solution could cap the leak."

Do you have some problem with using professional advice?

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

actually a moab plan is on the table, of course this should be the plan of last resort and it needs lots of sciency people to work out the way to do it properly with all their moddeling programs.

• 10 years ago

Though I'm not an engineer, I see a chance of that working.

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

The Russians have used nukes in similar situations. It works.

• Ice
    Lv 6
    10 years ago

The Russians have capped gas leaks with nukes, not oil leaks, and you run the risk of opening another hole in the pipe.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.