Can my bank take money out of my account without my permission, for a credit card payment?

i lost my job a while ago but finally just got hired, i was not able to make payments on a credit card i had with the same bank. my question is can they take money out of my account without permission to "pay off" whatever i owe them? i know i probably will not be able to make a payment really soon... show more i lost my job a while ago but finally just got hired, i was not able to make payments on a credit card i had with the same bank. my question is can they take money out of my account without permission to "pay off" whatever i owe them? i know i probably will not be able to make a payment really soon because i have other priorities at the time (food,gas) and the whole hiring process and training will take a bit. i would not like to wake up and find out they took the last couple hundred of dollars i had...
Update: i have not signed or had any kind of agreement where they can take money automatically out of the checking account i have with them...