Please help me to develop a conflict in my story. Really need help with this.?

I really would like some help with this. Basically, I have a rough idea of what I want to write about and have already started on my first chapter. The story will be about a 19 year-old girl, Ada, who goes to study in a prestigious art college away from her abusive family that has made her an insecure person.... show more I really would like some help with this.
Basically, I have a rough idea of what I want to write about and have already started on my first chapter.

The story will be about a 19 year-old girl, Ada, who goes to study in a prestigious art college away from her abusive family that has made her an insecure person. There she gets a roommate Janice who's two years older than her but is immature and drinks heavily as well as changing boyfriends every week. Later Ada finds interest in a young man, Peter who seems to be making success in life and the two become a couple but as the relationship goes on she realizes that Peter is ignorant towards her and makes her feel as insecure as her parents once did. She ends the relationship. Soon after she meets an English professor who is ten years her senior at an event Janice drags her to. She becomes fascinated by him and the two start spending time together, gradually falling in love. But the professor (Richard) seems to be too perfect for her to Ada. So she tries to end it because her insecurities wont let her be with the man she loves. No matter how good Richard makes her feel, when she's alone Ada keeps convincing herself that she's not good enough for him.

That's all I have right now and I need help with developing the plot. I need something to involve Ada's manipulative mother. I want her ex-boyfriend Peter to appear again and there has to be some sort of conflict. I also prefer the ending to be bitter-sweet.

I would really appreciate your help.
Update: @вιвℓισ мαиι¢ yes I have the reasons for her family being abusive. But I yet don't have a reason for her roommate being a drunk and I'm working on it I do agree on the idea that everything in the novel has to have a reason. I also have flaws for the main characters. Ada is often in self pity and has a bad... show more @вιвℓισ мαиι¢ yes I have the reasons for her family being abusive. But I yet don't have a reason for her roommate being a drunk and I'm working on it I do agree on the idea that everything in the novel has to have a reason. I also have flaws for the main characters. Ada is often in self pity and has a bad temper as well as being ungreatful, and Richard is jelous and dark in a way. I'm still working on his character as Ada doesn't meet him early in the book. But I have been working on the character sketches. I think I should follow your advice and do an outline of the whole story.

@the next poster, I like the idea of her leaving Richard, who I don't want to make perfect but I do want to make him the thing Ada roots for the most. I like your idea very much and I think I will try developing it.
Update 2: @ guyswhosir I love the idea of Peter being Janice's boyfriend. It really would make the plot develop.
And the idea of a tragedy in the family is good because I've been thinking about why would Ada go back home. Thanks.
Update 3: @wordmuse i've thought about having a twist and frankly havn't came up with anything still. hehe Hopefully if I think long and hard enough I can come up with something half decent