What degrees are acceptable to become a graphic designer?

Would a fine arts major be fine? Or do you need a college that specifically has a graphic design program? What about a visual communications degree?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 10 years ago
    Best Answer

VCD and Graphic Design are essentially the same thing.

You could potentially major in fine arts, but its highly recommended that you go with one of the above because the design field is very competitive and difficult to get into.

• 10 years ago

Fine arts would be acceptable, as long as you have specific courses in graphic design within your program of study. Visual communications might work as well, but again, make sure you have specific coursework in graphic design to supplement it. It's better to get into an actual graphic design Bachelor's program, as that will make you much more marketable when looking for a position. Getting good extracurricular experience during your college education is important too: internships, part time jobs, volunteer experience, etc. The degree alone isn't going to get you a job unless you know your programs firsthand and actually work with those programs to create examples of your work.

Check out the link to the Occupational Outlook Handbook's section on graphic designers. It's got some really good information (I put it below). Good luck!

• 4 years ago

You ask a lot of really good questions. I wish the internet was around before I started college. I would of asked the same questions. Here are my answers: Should I bother to make the effort to get into the graphic design field without a degree? Yes, but you should work on a degree at the same time. You can make a portfolio to show potential clients and also earn a degree. Be ambitious and do both. Do you agree that it is more important to develop a strong portfolio than to have an impressive resume and college education background? I see your logic and it is possible but here is the difference. If you go to college you will learn from many different teachers and have a degree that shows you can make a commitment and follow through. On the other hand if you don't go to college you will basically teach yourself. A college education will give you more knowledge from different view points. You will also have a degree. Society respects college degrees. It is just the way it is. I do not think it will change. Yes, there are exceptions to everything but you can't go wrong if you go to college and apply yourself. Do employers REALLY care more about talent than credentials? Will they care that my teacher wrote in a recent recommendation letter for me that "the world of visual design needs more people like her"? Will they care that I'm a praised student or will they just want someone who went to college? Credentials help. A college education is a good thing. You can use common sense in a lot of things. What if you were hiring for a project and 2 people applied. One went to Penn State and had a great portfolio and the other one was self taught and had a great portfolio. You would most likely choose Penn State with a great portfolio. There is a lot of competition out there and you need to stay marketable and competitive. You also need to put yourself in real world situations. Here is why college is good. Let's say Company XYZ needs a new print and online campaign for their new car that is coming out and they want to reach a certain age group. Let's also say that you did a project like this in college. You would already have a background in it. These are the types of things that you work on in college. Projects based on real world situations. Let's say you taught yourself, what would you say? Is an employer likely to hire a person just recently out of high school? Yes, if there portfolio is really good and they see potential. What kind of difference will it make if I work an apprenticeship at a design firm? Do they even tend to hire apprentices as actual workers eventually? I wouldn't use the word apprentice. I would say intern. Yes, design firms hire interns. Apprentice sounds outdated or it would be better used for different types of work.

• 10 years ago

To become a graphic designer, a graphic design degree is most desirable. A graphic design degree trains you in modern techniques and applications available in graphic design. Graphic designers are required to exhibit outstanding skills in the latest technologies pertaining to graphic design and apply this knowledge in their work. A graphic design degree comes out to be the most suited degree for wannabe graphic designers because it ingrains the aforementioned qualities in them.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 10 years ago

visual communications is a good degree if you want to go into advertising or product design in the graphic design field

• 10 years ago

you require creativity and knowledge on how to operate graphical programs on computer you dont require any degree infact to be a graphic designer. just your creativity and graphical program skills that's it

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.