Why do employers ask your race on applications?

I am a white male. Am I less likely to get a job if I list my race? Do you think it would be a bad idea if I checked the "choose not to disclose box?" They say its optional but do you think they will be less likely to hire me if I dont list my race?

Favorite Answer

I think it is just there for the purpose of fulfilling the quota.whether or not you get chosen depends on if they get pissed off.

DC

Businesses are required to keeping hiring statistics to assure compliance of equal employment data. Without this data, there would be no way to assure fair and equal is maintained at the company.

As to the 'non checked box' it probably has no effect on the hiring process, other than to aggravate the HR department. I would bet that at the interview, the HR person must check the appropriate box and complete it 'by visual observation'. This to assure that no unfair labor practices are hidden by the application process and to assure compliance.

Soccerref

they do no longer on the applying. it quite is a separate sheet, and it is not crucial. it quite is a Federal regulation that an company has to present day, if asked, their employment application data and how different those applicants are. To instruct there's no longer discrimination.

• buie

they do no longer on the appliance. it truly is a separate sheet, and it is not obligatory. it truly is a Federal regulation that an organization has to present day, if asked, their employment application information and how diverse those applicants are. To practice there is not any longer discrimination.

They ask because now their are laws with discrimination. Companies are supposed to hire people of different races. I think for tax purposes, as well. They are not supposed to have all whites; native Americans, African Americans, Latinos etc. So they supposedly ask that to make it fair to everyone. I don't know what will happen if you don't answer it

Good luck

they put that on there for legal reasons so they are not legally accountable...you and i both know that if you check the choose not to disclose box...you will be less likely to be considered for hire then if you were white.

• ?

Those questions are for tax purposes and any hirings on the basis of age/race/sex are illegal. The employer won't use it.

No they would not be less likely to hire you. I dont know why they ask that but dont worry its not going to change the factif they hire you or not.

No, you are like the rest of us - bound to be type cast in your job by market

experts who understand how to maximize profits and prevent unions with social control.

Ever see a fleet of Philipino maids,

all in identical uniforms cleaning all the rooms

in 40 hotels? Well I look, so I have.

That's the free market.

• Mutt

It should not affect your chances at all. It's only for statistical reporting. They will make an educated guess as to your race if/when they interview you.