Fellow Teens: Are you disappointed by the fiction being published for our age group?

Let me start with Twilight. So many of my friends ADORE it... It's terribly written. Then comes The Hunger Games- finally, a strong female character...?! Actually, it's pretty much a blatant copy of Battle Royale (a great book.) Then Sarah Dessen books. Her main characters are whiny and ungrateful,... show more Let me start with Twilight. So many of my friends ADORE it...
It's terribly written.

Then comes The Hunger Games- finally, a strong female character...?!
Actually, it's pretty much a blatant copy of Battle Royale (a great book.)

Then Sarah Dessen books.
Her main characters are whiny and ungrateful, and the shocking racism against African Americans caused me to shut the book in disgust.

I could go on. Frankly, I'm just embarrassed to be a teenager when society thinks all I care about is getting a hot boyfriend and a new miniskirt. Seriously. When did teenage fiction get dummed down to a couple of whiny princesses complaining about their wonderful lives and stumbling onto broody vampires?
God, part of me wants to become an author just to prove that there is more to life than that.

Ha ha, sorry for my Miniature rant. There is some wonderful fiction out there, but not muh I'm sorry to say. Jodi Picoult is wonderful, and reading her books I suddenly regain faith in the human race xD

Any one else diappointed by YA fiction?
Update: JustLikeThat: I totally agree. Personally, I love Malorie Blackman and the Percy Jackson series wasn't bad at all. The thing is, Harry Potter is classified as a kiddie's book even though it's great to read when you're a teenager as well. It does make me sad when books that are truly terrible become... show more JustLikeThat: I totally agree. Personally, I love Malorie Blackman and the Percy Jackson series wasn't bad at all.
The thing is, Harry Potter is classified as a kiddie's book even though it's great to read when you're a teenager as well. It does make me sad when books that are truly terrible become bestsellers. It's like taking the mick of all the amazing authors that have come before us :/