how much manual transmission fluid do i need for my chevy 5 speed?

i have never changed manual transmission oil/fluid on this tranny and wanted to know how much it holds before i go to change it and i dont have and adequet amount to put back in it ...it is a five speed which i believe to be a muncie 5lm80

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

there is a check fluid hole on the side & a drain hole on the bottom...fill it until the fluid reaches the the check hole & starts to flow out...that is the correct fill amount. the vehicle or transmission must be level. you may get many different answers as to the exact quantity but if it,s not level it may not take enough or may take too much. you can get specific quantity's from a repair manual or a car dealer but to level the vehicle & more importantly the transmission & fill to the check hole [ just until it starts to overfill ,allow it to drip until it stops,then plug it up] will give you the exact/proper fluid level. be sure to use the correct fluid/lube recommended for your vehicle. good luck!

Source(s): 44+ year,s wrenching.
  • 10 years ago

An auto parts store should be able to look up the specs for your application.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.