Oil Paint Solvent Disposal?

What is the proper way to dispose of Turpentine and other Spirits after they have been used to thin paint/wash brushes?

I have a coffee tin full of odorless Pearl Paint brand spirits that has settled out, basically all of the suspended pigments layering into what i assume is a toxic gunk at the bottom. whats the proper way to dispose of it? If i pour off the clear (and usable) spirits, what do i do with the toxic waste?

Thanks for your help

Best Answer

just use laundry detergent to clean your brushes and stand oil for your paintings and youll be set...its what i do.

• Susan

You have already recieved some good advice. Every artist has their own way of doing things. As for being a beginner, you just have to play with it. As many have said, oil takes a long time to dry. I left a pallet full of fresh, unmixed oil paint on Thursday, and when I returned today, Wednesday, it was all still very workable. !!!However, my painting was dry as a bone. Of course I only blocked in my shapes and still need to go into it and bring in the finishing details. One of my favorite mediums after Turp, is Japan drier. You can buy it reletivity cheap at a good home improvement store like Home Depot. Liquin is another good quality medium to speed up your drying time, and will give your painting a rich look. Working with oils is often a process of much layering and many glazes. Everyone usually developes their own style. After much practice. That's what art is all about. Practice practice and more practice. Before I begin an important painting in oil, I usually get into shape by painting a master study. What ever you do, don't fret, and don't let yourself get too discouraged, each painting you do you will become better and better. The best of luck with it, and to you. L.White

Check your area for a household chemical waste disposal station. (on-line search) Most communities have one or some other process for getting rid of old household chemicals. That would be the safest way to dispose of it. I'm not in favor of "just toss it".

Source(s): artist

What I do is get another clean glass container and use a coffee filter to get whatever mineral spirits is left and then either throw away the old container, or clean it with paper towels.

• Jay

Let it dry then throw it out in the trash, And whatever you do don't put it down your sink. That is the worst thing you could do. Just let it dry out and toss it.

i agree