My female cat with her 12 week old kittens in tow has moved. She & her litter comes back twice daily for food?

I don't have any children in the house, no other pets, just missy and her long awaited kittens. Well not anymore. They just left and returns twice daily for food and water. When I call missy, she completely ignores me unless she is hungry. When Missy is hungry she is all over me and very sweet otherwise she is... show more I don't have any children in the house, no other pets, just missy and her long awaited kittens. Well not anymore. They just left and returns twice daily for food and water. When I call missy, she completely ignores me unless she is hungry. When Missy is hungry she is all over me and very sweet otherwise she is somewhat mean, ungrateful and blatantly distant. I love my cat & the kittens & I miss them. We had fleas every where so I changed their diet, washed the yard and change their bedding every two or three days. They are usually out of the yard when I clean it or they will sleep through it. I make their food which they love and there is rarely any left over.
Missy has always been somewhat distant though unless she needs food and I usually have to watch her eat or the neighborhood cats will take her food. I don't understand why she and the kittens left. Oh! She also had the kittens in another yard which had me worried & that should have been a sign, but I moved them into my yard shortly after she gave birth.
I am very sad and need to understand what has happened, where did I go wrong and what can I do to change and accept reality. It will take a while to get used to Missy not being around. How soon should I wait before I get another cat.
By the way, Missy is feral but allowed me to brush and wipe her down and I was able to brush the kittens daily and bathe them weekly.
When Missy & the kittens return daily for food and water I am so happy to see them and so sad to see them leave immediately when they've finished and also scared of what they may have picked up and are dropping off on our porch and in the yard, is that good? How long should I continue this torture for me. I feel obligated to feed her and I do feel extremely used and I am good with that b/c at least I get a chance to see them. Should I drop food off near where they have moved to lessen the pain for me. I am losing it and need some advice and a loving cat. Thanking you in advance for any help you can offer. My apologies for being so whiny.
1 answer