Do you think loyalty is an appreciated and valued personality trait?

Or is it a personality trait that is mostly ignored or abused?

Favorite Answer

I think people who value it appreciate it tremendously in others (I know I do). And for people who view loyalty as naivete, they think you're a sucker for being that way (I've been told I am).

I think there are more people who will take advantage of you for being loyal, but I wont be less, because imo it's more than a personality trait, it's a principle upon which I choose to live my life. I know Ive made the right choice for my particular set of ethics.

Those who appreciate it in you, they cancel out the jerks imo

Well it is a double edged sword in my opinion as it can be exploited fairly easily. As a Jew I wonder how many people in the Nazi party were acting simply out of loyalty rather than belief. A person of any group could ask that question about an opposing group of people. Maybe if so much value wasn't placed on loyalty some of the world's mass tragedies could have been avoided but at the same time though, without loyalty there would be anarchy. I value loyalty of others but do my best to not exploit the loyalty of people who pledge loyalty to me. I also constantly evaluate my loyalty to others to not allow my loyalty to be exploited.

It's important to me and in terms of relational aggression enacted by women, betrayal is one of the biggest methods of hurting another woman so I would say it is quite important. I have been loyal to people in the past and all they have ended up doing was taking me for granted. They would say 'It is only 'Sunshine'. She will always be there' because I was nice and didn't hurt them in any way which seems increasingly the case for everyone to do in modern society. There is a very wise Italian proverb I have read though that states: 'Chi non estima vien stimato' which can be basically transcribed as 'To disregard is to win regard' ie. in any friendship or relationship one must always, now and then, intermittently, be a little bit cold or curt, a little standoffish so people value you more. It is a power strategy. When you are too nice to your friends they become spoilt and tryannical and start to take you for granted being the moral of the strategy.

Loyalty is the difference between a few close friends and those dozens of people who you don't really talk to anymore. People value loyalty.

Loyalty isn't always rewarded by those you are loyal to. It may not even be noticed. The reward comes in your knowing you did the right thing. Loyalty is a good trait, as long as it is not continuously misplaced.

• Alice

I certainly value loyalty very highly. I'm only fifteen so my loyalty probably hasn't been tested very rigorously, but when it comes to my family and friends I fight for them till the end. I don't care if I'm confronting some "popular" kid or intimidating adult, my family comes first.

In answer to your question, REAL people, who are whole and clear-minded, value loyalty.

most people don't know loyalty when they see it,and it is a personality trait.

Nowadays, it' s largely taken advantage of; the cheating rate for men wouldn't hover around 60% if they weren't taking advantage of their wives' loyalty...men have even boasted on this site about how most women will stay wit their husbands after they cheat..if that's not taking advantage of someone's loyalty and commitment, then what is? It's basically communicating "She loves me too much to leave me, so why not cheat since I can get away with it?"

The cheating rate for women is around 40%, and I recognize this before anyone accuses me of male-bashing. It's just as disgraceful when a woman does it. I just naturally, being a female, am more concerned with the male statistic.

But I certainly appreciate and value it, if it means anything. I think it's disgusting that not many people do nowadays.

• Boo

I don't think it is. The trait is more prominent in men. Therefore it can't be a good thing.

Amongst men its the most valued trait<--- Its because of that which is a problem.....Most men prefer to be around other men, not their wives.

Yes