? asked in Education & ReferenceTrivia · 1 decade ago

Why is the name 'John Smith' the example for a name on a product?

Just curious to why and who, is all. :)

THANKS! I can't decide who's to choose! They were both helpful. I'll let other people decide. Thanks a bunch!

Favorite Answer

John Smith came from John Doe, which acts as a legal placeholder. John Smith is a name signifying the common man. I know it's brief, but i hope it helps.

• Lisa B

John and Smith are the most common first and last names in the United States. So "John Smith" stands for the average person. It's a name that doesn't point at anyone specific, it just points at everyone.

John Smith as a general reference to the average man came long before "John Doe," which was invented for lawsuits.

Source(s): I am a linguist and a retired attorney.

Hi

my name is mohammad delnavazi!i lives in iran

I have a project called gas saving car!

I used a different kind of energy to remove Tsmh and gasoline energy and productivity! Considerably reduce fuel consumption as much as I do!

I am in need of financial assistance to continue to build this project!

If you want to cooperate with me, please email me to communicate:mohammaddelnavazi2@yahoo.com