why are ALL nicolas sparks characters in every book are ALL caucasian?

• Robin
    Favorite Answer

Agreed that only the author knows for sure, but I seem to recall that Orson Scott Card tried to write a book with a black main character and got ripped because he wasn't "authentic" and told that no white person could ever write a realistic black character. This could even be true. I tend to avoid books by men because often the women they write are flat and unrealistic. The first commandment of writing is Write What You Know, isn't it? Literature isn't a race, and it isn't about race. Demanding every book have a balance of ethnicities would be unrealistic and frankly boring, and no one would be happy with the results.

Why is the sky blue?!

EDIT: Okay, I will take this question seriously.

Take a look into Nicholas Sparks' personal biography, he might come from a caucasion-dominant area, or may have not been exposed greatly to other races. He may also believe the story of two or more caucasions may sell more/be related to more greatly than a story made purely from other races.

Sorry, I can't be bothered looking into it more, the only way to find out is to ask Mr. Sparks yourself.

He may also subconciously and automatically write about caucasian characters as he is a caucasian man (I think - as I said before I cbf looking it up), therefore he writes purely about what he knows from experience.

Source(s): GO AMANDA AND DAVE! I agree 110%, personally the caucasian race is the one that many cultures are racist against. As with the Aboriginals: They want us Aussies to apologise for "invading", when it wasn't us? They claim that we took their culture away - but they still DEMAND the 'white mans' dole check, booze, drugs and petrol? ugh!

GO AMAMDA!!!!

i agree with what she said and more.

if anyone wanto to look into the history of the slave trade then be my guest. You will find that the REAL 'baddies' were the Africans themselves. Slavery is an African thing and still is today!!!!!! Next we have the muslim slave trade where the Muslims ran things for centuries. Then last we have a short blip in history where the white man came along, traded a few slaves then banned the practice. And we get the blame????? I think the fact that your all alive and even HAVE immediate decentands is all testamant to how well 'your people' have been treated by the white man historically.

Either that or your aqncestor would have been executed, rotted in a slave market and starved to death, or casterated and worked to death in Egypt of somewhere. Instead your alive and live in the West!!!!

• Kelley

If you think Nicholas Sparks is the only author to write exclusively about one race, you need to broaden your literary scope.

Perhaps he writes white for the same reason Toni Morrison writes black. They want to write believable characters. Going outside their own ethnicity makes that nearly impossible for them to accomplish.

I prefer an author to be honest with themselves rather than tossing that single black or white character into the cast as a token of racial harmony as we so often see on television and the big screen.

I think generally people write stories with people of their own skin tone. I mean, I read a book recently and I realised from a description of the character that she was black, and in my mind I had imagined her white, because I'm white. I don't believe I'm rascist, its just what people tend to do. And the writer of that book? She was black.

• taffy

i agree with the first response.

it is also the writer's right to write the story and characters any way that he or she wants (what a weird sentence THAT is).

i am not sure if it is simple curiousity that prompted your question or if you are asking because it bothers you that the characters are caucasian, though. i might be missing the point of your question, so i apologize if that is the case.

Message in a Bottle is amazzziinnnggg!!! the alternative is solid with the aid of fact it somewhat ends fortuitously!! yet Message in a Bottle is great with the aid of fact this is distinctive than the valuable John and The final music- extremely akin to the fortunate One is a greaattt tale!

No one but Nicholas Sparks could adequately answer that; anyone who else who tries is just guessing. Perhaps he has a website where you could post the question to him.

• ?

Why is there always someone with a terminal illness, and someone estranged from their parents?

Because Nicholas Sparks only has one idea, and he's making gazillions off it.

I think if you dig under all that fluff, you might find that she was racist and a supremacist. That's why there are no blacks in her stories.