Anonymous

is the job of secret shopper a scam?

i got offered a job through email as a reply to my ad, for secret shopping but don't know if it is a scam and would like to know before give my personal information. the man who signed the letter is Mr. Stephen Kittss,

Shopper© Liason Officer. Has anyone ever heard of him or worked with him? any advice? the letter wasnt personalized with my name and it seems like the same exact letter of description is sent to every person because it was generalized.

Favorite Answer

First of all, legitimate secret shopper companies DO NOT advertise online. They normally have more than enough shoppers already signed up to them through word of mouth. Mystery shopping scams are one of the most common online job scams, so common Dateline recently did a whole show about this http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29903354

Second, a general letter would never be sent out to anyone, it would be personalised to your name, address and contain the company's legal name, address and phone number.

Third, you normally have to go IN to the office to fill out the paperwork and attend an orientation session. They first need to check that you are legal to work before you would be offered the job, and they also have to make sure you do not lie about your age, ethnicity, etc that is needed for any scientific mystery shop.

Fourth, what is the name of the actual company and their address and phone number?? You don't give a company name and any legitimate mystery shopping company would be listed in the phone book and have a website. But be careful, scammers use real company names to conduct their scams, but give you fake names, email addresses and phone numbers that don't belong to the real company. For example,there is a real company called Secret Shopper, but scammers misuse their name all the time, providing employee names, email addresses and phone numbers that do not belong to the real company. A real letter would have the company address and phone number listed, that you could verify just by looking in the online yellow pages of that city to make sure the phone numbers are the same. And you would call to confirm they had a Stephen Kittss working there.

Fifth, if you were promised lots of money, like $150 per shop, it's a scam. Mystery shopping rarely pays more than $20 per shop, generally it's more like $10-15 which barely covers your time and gas money. You have to ask yourself, is it worth $10 for a whole day's work - driving maybe 1-2 hours to some store, going in and spending an hour there, buying something with your own money, driving 1-2 hours home, spending 1-2 hours filling out the evaluation, then going to the post office just to get $10 + reimbursed for what you bought a month later? People mystery shop because they are interested in the process, definitely not for the money.

Sixth, if you were asked to receive or deposit any money, it's a SCAM. Mystery shopping has nothing to do with cashing checks and wiring money through Western Union or Moneygram. You always have to spend your own money upfront for any mystery shop - you are never paid upfront.

If you have not confirmed the company name and called the number listed on the phone book (not in any emails) to confirm Stephen Kittss works there and this is a legitimate job offer, I would NOT send any information as 95% of all online mystery shopping jobs are scams

Source(s): mystery shopper

2

Source(s): Paid Surveys For Money : http://OnlineSurveys.iukiy.com/?ZtGj

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

is the job of secret shopper a scam?

Shopper© Liason Officer. Has anyone ever heard of him or worked with him?...

Source(s): job secret shopper scam: https://shortly.im/mNcdP

I don't know if your email is a scam or not but I have been a mystery shopper for several years. If you're interested in becoming one the best web site to start with is www.mystershop.org. There you can get a free 'silver' certification or a paid 'gold'. There is a listing of hundreds of mystery shop schedulers.

The best way to get started is to sign up for 50-100 organizations as you will not be able to establish which ones have shops in your area before signing up with them, so the more you sign up for the better. If would be beneficial to get a separate yahoo or gmail account just for mystery shopping. DO NOT ever pay to sign up to be a mystery shopper as these are always scams. It took a few months for me and I signed up to over a hundred organizations but now I mystery shop steak houses, bowling, clothing stores, hotels, and amusement parks. Can't wait until my kids are grown so I can do cruises, vacations, etc.

Mystery shopping will not ever be a 'job' replacement but it can afford your family a higher lifestyle than you could normally afford. The main point is to be reliable. If you 'flake out' on assignments, you will be blacklisted as these companies do share that info among themselves. Good luck!

• Ann

My best guess is that it is a scam. Never pay anything for any kind of job. I would set up a separate email account and try to keep it as 'secret' from my real life as possible. Don't give them your social security number...you'll probably get 'paid' in gift certificates, etc. Hope this helps...just be careful.

Fill Surveys Get Cash - http://OnlineSurveys.uzaev.com/?rLbX

try this site (i've used it): http://topfin5.notlong.com/9AA9bYE