Nick asked in TravelMexicoOther - Mexico · 10 years ago

How many expats live in Merida? Or the Yucatan area?

Favorite Answer

In order to answer the question one must define expat. Let's answer this including all North American and European expats. The guestamite is around 10,000 but also estimates for snowbirds here on a tourist visa spending the winter is all the way up to 100,000. noone knows for sure.

Check out for retiring in Yucatan

www.yucatan-life.com

http://www.yucatan-life.com/merida-yucatan.html

A few years back I read an estimate of 6,500 full time Canadian and US residents in Merida. Not sure why the estimate only included Canadian and US expats or if it was even accurate.

I'm sure if you included expats from other countries, snowbirds and the beach communities of Progreso, Chelem, Chicxulub, etc that number would be considerably higher.

You could try asking the people below, they may know.

The Yucatan peninsula is one of themost popular destinations for expats. There are thousands of American, British, Italian and others there living comfortably and very well received and adjusted. You can find practically anything there that you would find in the US with the advantages of a nicer climate, more beautiful scenery and friendly people.

There are a very large number of expats who live thee. I assume most are snowbirds (live elsewhere in the summer ) because that whole area is unbelievably hot and humid especially April - August. Check the MexicoConnect Web Board for the Southern Mexico section to learn more.

http://www.mexconnect.com/cgi-bin/forums/gforum.cg...

• Rachel

I moved to Spain two years ago and I live in the mountains in Andalucia. It's great because I HAD to learn the language. The Costa Del Sol is heavily populated but I found the area from Murcia to Torrevieja more heavily populated. I have been twice. The only Spanish I spoke was at the toll booth and I was so glad to get home to the mountains which I consider the real Spain.