i found worms in my bag of rice and cooked and ate some. can i sue?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    10 years ago
    Best Answer

They probably weren't worms.... they were weevils, which kinda look like worms. ALL cereal and grain products get weevils eventually. Your rice was more than likely sitting in your cupboard for awhile (or you bought an old bag of rice). Flour, rice, pancake mix oatmeal, cake mix, etc.. have weevil eggs in them. After a few months, the weevils hatch. So no, you can't sue. If you could, then every person in the world would be millionaire by now.

http://www.bugspray.com/article/riceweevil.html

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

What did you cook and eat, the rice or the worms? Anyway it happens to food grains, why be so nit picky? You won't get sick or anything. Just toss out the worms and the bunched up grains of rice.

• 10 years ago

The "worms"/bugs probably were your fault..as others have said, what if they came in AFTER you bought the rice??

Anyway, bugs, as long as they are cooked thoroughly (which they would have to be, rice really has to be heated), are really good for you. Lots of lean protein. Seriously.

So..no. You can't sue. No physical, monetary or major emotional injury. And wouldn't it be too much trouble? Mounds of paperwork, at least a thousand dollars in attorney costs, hours of reviewing, writing, and representing? For bugs in rice? I think not.

o.o

• Eolra
    Lv 4
    10 years ago

Probably not. You would have to prove that the worms were there before the bag of rice was in your possession. The worms could have infested AFTER you bought the bag - can you prove it was not your method of storage that bred the worms? I doubt it.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 6 years ago

Call the manufacturer or store where you bought it. They will replace it or give you your money back.

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

Weevils are actually quite delicious, and a great nutritious snack.... since the thing you were buying was only rice, they could sue you for not paying for the weevils. they are a delicacy in a few countries you know.

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

No.

If there is any left in the packet and you can prove you had it stored properly in an airtight container the store may give you a replacement.

That type of thing generally happens in the home when things aren't stored correctly.

• 10 years ago

why the hell would you eat worms if you already knew they were there?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.