Timing belt on a 2004 Honda Odyssey?

I have a 2004 Honda Odyssey minivan with 102,000 miles on it. When I went for my oil change today at the local Honda dealer, I was told that the timing belt needed to be replaced within the next 5,000 miles. The total cost is $809.00. Is this a reasonable price?

Favorite Answer

2003-2006 honda 3.2 & 3.5 engines require a "CKP pattern learn procedure" to be performed after timing belt replacement. If you don't do this you will have check engine lights on for random missfire codes. You can not pass emissions with a check engine light and it is also annoying. Not to mention the vehicle can have harsh upshift/ downshifts.

The only tool capable of doing the CKP pattern learn procedure is a honda HDS tool which is only something that the honda dealer has.

ANYWHERE YOU BRING IT FOR A TIMING BELT WILL NEED TO SEND IT TO THE DEALER FOR THE CKP pattern learn procedure TO BE PERFORMED.

I have done 3 of these belts and had to send the vans to the dealer for the programming each time.

Most mechanics will not know this and it doesn't say this is needed in the manual but trust me, it is.

Make sure whoever you ask for a price to do this that they know it need programming afterwards. Dealer charges me $150 to program I do the belts for about $400 + Programming using an oem honda belt and pulley set.

Honda Odyssey Timing Belt

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Timing belt on a 2004 Honda Odyssey?

Source(s): timing belt 2004 honda odyssey: https://biturl.im/okg1n

I have a 2004 Honda odyssey with 97k plus miles..when do I change the timing belt/water pump?..and how do think it will cost me...many tnx

that seems close to fair. i had my timing belt change on my toyota camry at a local garage i use and it was 280.00. so 359.00 at a dealership doesn't seem bad. normally you don't change those until you have around 95,000 miles. do you have that much on a 2004 model?

If the belt is original, it's due for a replacement before it breaks / slips and damages the engine. The cost should be way less than $800.