sherifaa asked in PetsFish · 1 decade ago

Fish swimming upside down?

I just changed my tank water and now my fish are swimming upside down...any advice?

Favorite Answer

If your fish swims upside down it most likely has a swim-bladder disorder/disease. This happens when the swim-bladder, a gas filled organ that controls the fish's buoyancy by inflating or deflating, is unable to control itself and causes the fish to either stay at the bottom of the tank, float helplessly at the top, bob-around head first at the bottom, swim on its side, or swim upside-down. A swim bladder problem can be caused by constipation, bacterial infection, poor water quality, physical damage to the swim bladder, or physical deformity of the swim bladder. This condition is sometimes hard to treat because its often hard to diagnose the cause before its to late. The first step to take with a fish that has a swim bladder disorder is to test the water quality of your tank. It is usually a good idea to move the affected fish into a 5-10 gallon hospital tank for observation/treatment to ensure that the other fish do not become sick also. A good first act of treatment for an unknown cause of a swim bladder disorder is to try feeding the fish a shelled thawed or cooked unsalted green pea (the green pea is a laxative and will relieve your fishes swim-bladder problem if it is constipated). If this does not help you may want to start the fish on a antibacterial medication. Do frequent water changes at this time because having good water quality will offer relief for the affected fish. Also lower the tanks levels so that is is about 1/2-2 inches above the fishes dorsal fin (this reduces pressure on the swim bladder causing the fish much relief).If the fish looks swollen that is often either the beginning stages of dropsy or a sign of constipation. If dropsy is suspected than you would want to start the fish on antibacterial medicated food soon! Often fish do not recover from a bacterial infection of the swim bladder. Bacterial infections will usually result in dropsy- which is terminal.

Source(s): I've had an aquariums since I was 5. (Now, I'm a week from turning 26.)
  • fonner

Fish Swimming Upside Down

• speas

Upside Down Fish

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Fish swimming upside down?

Source(s): fish swimming upside down: https://shortly.im/no6Hd

O that is not good when you change the water on a fish tank the tempacure can change and they are not use to the water yet so they go in to shock shock is caused by the tempature so they where not use to it and went in to shock know it is shock beacuse it has happend a lot to me so many times just make shure that the tempature is the same as when you emtyed it i wait tell it is the same temp. and then put some water in a zip lock and put them in the bag close it and put it in the tank after 30 min take them out and dump them in the water so ya i know that it is shock beacuse what they do when they go in to shock is swim up side down and after a wile die bacuse that and they cant eat so i am sorry just do what i said ubove when you get some more fish so hope i could help and i am very sorry about your fish you can get some new fish and if you do congrats =)

Everyone that said about the water bladder problem is correct. It controls how high the fish can sink or rise. Sometimes it is only a temporary problem, like the water being too cold, creating air pockets in the water bladder and the problem corrects itself eventually. If all of them are doing it, I wouldn't think that its a water bladder disorder. The only other time fish swim upside down is when they are dying and their organs begin to shut down and work against them

My fish has had this swim bladder problem for about 5 months.. i've tried changing the water, giving her laxatives.. nothing works, but she's still alive and happy just spends about half the day floating upside down at the top of the tank, its quite sad but she doesn't seem too bothered.

my fish always did that, they can actually turn colors after a day of swimming upside down, kinda like the lizard that changes color-camelion, in a day or 2 it will turn green then black, it is awesome

Yeah you probably didn't add dechlorinator did you? They are suffering and are on the brink of death.

Source(s): I've done this before.

Either your fish is stupid,crazy,or its about to die.