Should i copyright my music?

Hi.. I've made a fw tunes in FLStudio and would like to upload them on youtube. Should i copyright them before i upload them? if yes how do i copyright them?

Thanks.

Well, what should i do if someone copies my music?

Favorite Answer

Original music (or lyrics, or poems, or software, etc) you create is automatically protected by copyright in the U.S. You don't need to *do* anything.

You're probably confusing copyright with patents and/or trademarks (and servicemarks, etc). Of these 3 protections, copyrighting is the one you don't need to file any paperwork for - and luckily for you, the one that applies to original music.

What Lacy is suggesting is a way to give yourself evidence that you created the work at approximately the post-marked date, in case you ever need to defend your copyright in court. It can't hurt, but it's probably overkill (and I don't believe it's been used in a copyright defense very often).

Regarding your follow-up question - what to do if someone copies your music:

Be flattered. Be grateful. Redistribution of your music the way to get publicity in a digital age.

Now, if instead of "copy" you meant "unlawfully profiting from your work", that's another story. In such a case you file a civil lawsuit. But the frequency of this occurring is nearly zero (by anyone other than the RIAA).

If you're not in the U.S., then disregard all this.

Source(s): 22 years playing and teaching. Copyright-reform activist, anti-patent activist.

uhh yes! do a poor man's copyright. put all contents in an envelope, mail it to yourself and never open it. it's called a poor man's copyright.

If you think it's good then yeah you should

I'm sorry i don't remember whats it's called but it's the same as what you can do for inventions umm argh i can't remember

No, cause believe me no one cares about your music.