Why are opposite sex friendships virtually nonexistent around here?

I live in a moderately-sized city in the southeastern US, (Pop. 60,000) and I've noticed something odd here. No one my age (19) has good friends of the opposite sex. If you see an opposite sex friendship, they're either "friends with benefits", or one of them is gay.

I've noticed my male friends are cool with hanging out, but when I bring up the idea female friend, the first thing they always say is "Why?"

Why is making friends with women so much more difficult?

Can someone explain this to me?

• Nova
    Best Answer

Because women only want friendship on their terms. They want slaves.

A guy friend will be a true friend. Will come over help you with your car, play xbox, play football, not bug you, talk about whatever.

A girl friend will only want you to do the things she wants you to do, be an emo support. She won't help you with any FRIEND stuff, just want you to go out with her so she won't be lonely, and talk about her failed relationships with a guy she won't fall in love with. They bring a lot of drama.

Even most women prefer men as friends than other women.

you're in what's termed a "limbo" state the place anybody only acquaintances with their very own, no longer with the aid of determination yet with the aid of inheritance a) probably via fact they have tried to have friendships with the different intercourse and failed b) they like friendships with their very own intercourse, and c) they have been reported at the same time, i.e. in close proximity say college/college so they think approximately females as infants acquaintances, as a substitute of being sexual products and ultimately d) you'll be able to may be the guy who breaks the regulations and practice them that friendships may be made with the different intercourse, and which would be with the aid of some distance the main problematical. it truly is that in case you have an activity, or you'll be able to desire to easily become part of the team and wait till society changes and unearths women of a few activity, i.e. it may desire to may be the bypass to of an out of state female and pleasing, the place each and all of the male hormones kick in and you have important issues on your doorstep:) The hormones seem to have kicked in and kicked out via fact of social norms:).some societies practice latent inclinations, small city mentalities i.e. they only mature around the 23-25 year previous team and then females become of a few activity. you'll be able to discover that the females are additionally tom boyish in visual charm and are seen friends as against girlfriends. And, the "why" is probably via fact they see no longer something particular in having a female pal and in a manner it truly is type to the girl, otherwise there will be abortions, and heart smash:).

you're in what's called a "limbo" state the place everybody basically pals with their very own, not with the help of determination yet with the help of inheritance a) possibly because of the fact they have tried to have friendships with the different intercourse and failed b) they like friendships with their very own intercourse, and c) they have been noted at the same time, i.e. in close proximity say college/college so they think approximately females as youthful human beings friends, particularly of being sexual gadgets and ultimately d) you're able to be able to may be the guy who breaks the regulations and teach them that friendships could properly be made with the different intercourse, and which would be with the help of a approaches the main not ordinary. that's that in case you have an interest, or you need to basically grow to affix the gang and wait till society adjustments and unearths women of a few interest, i.e. it may may be the pass to of an out of state female and attention-grabbing, the place all the male hormones kick in and you have got significant problems in the doorstep:) The hormones seem to have kicked in and kicked out because of the fact of social norms:).some societies teach latent dispositions, small city mentalities i.e. they only mature around the 23-25 12 months old group and then females grow to be of a few interest. you're able to be able to discover that the girls are additionally tom boyish in visual charm and are seen pals as against girlfriends. And, the "why" is possibly because of the fact they see not something particular in having a woman pal and in a manner that's sort to the lady, in any different case there will be abortions, and heart smash:).

................................................

When somebody is in a relationship already, they don't seek out friends from the other gender. This only happens when somebody is single, in order to size up for a future relationship, nothing more.

If you feel that it's difficult to make friends of the opposite gender, just make it clear when you first meet somebody that you're interested in a relationship by asking them out. If they reject, ask somebody else. Then female jealously will set in, and the more you ask, the more they will want you.

• sam

That's a shame, and would go some way to explaining some of the attitudes I see from Americans here. Traditional mindsets can be hard to shake sometimes I guess.

hmm, interesting, i don't know. im a girl and i have a couple close guy friends, ANND a long term boyfriend.

its hard because often times one or the other turns out liking the other one and it makes awkwardness. which often either makes them become a dating couple or makes them have to end the friendship.

i agree that having both male and female friends is important.

hope this helps!

I have gotten along pretty well with some men on this site and like hearing from them. The only men I know in real life are friends of my bf, men I have worked with, relatives. I also live in a SE US city. My boyfriend has a friend that I liked spending time with but his wife did not like it. In fact, she told my bf that she did not want him anywhere near me. Why? Jealousy and looking out for herself is my guess. Like I would ever even have anything to do with him like that.