F@T Cow asked in SportsFootball (American) · 10 years ago

Americans: What is harder to play, your football or our football (soccer)?

You can only really give an answer if you've played both. To me American football seems easy to play, you just go out, run into a few people then go and sit down for a while.

BQ: What is the main sport in America?

Favorite Answer

They're both hard to play, for different reasons. Soccer is more of an artsy thing. The best players use the ball like an extension of their bodies, and it takes a lot of skill. However, this is really the only skill needed for the sport. American football consists of several different positions, all requiring different skill sets. It also HURTS. You’re going to end up battered and bruised, we wear pads for a reason. Soccer players roll around when they bump knees. Quarterback isn't very physically strenuous, but requires extreme concentration, memory, and skill with throwing the football. Wide receivers need speed, endurance, concentration and the ability to catch a football well. Linemen need EXTREME strength, stamina and weight, yet still need good balance and footwork. Being an offensive or defensive lineman doesn't just consist of pushing a fat guy, try to push a 350 pound bag back words that's pushing against you, while trying to juke to the side. I don't know enough about soccer to comment of specific positions. I did play it when I was like 10, but I didn't really like it and never concentrated.

Of course soccer fans will say that it's harder, while Americans will say football is harder, they don't really understand the others sport. The truth is, they're both very difficult, but for different reasons. You saying football is running around a bit and sitting on the bench shows that you've never learned about the sport.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AisAIRJH9

Youtube thumbnail

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4IVRHHjo

Youtube thumbnail

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFNt3bYGB

Youtube thumbnail

That's not easy.

BQ: Football...

• Lisa

I wouldn't say that Americans hate soccer. After all, there are lots of soccer camps in America. But I think what you mean is that why do Americans not watch soccer. Well, it's kind of complicated, but here's the story. In soccer, there are no commercials until halftime. The media HATES that because they can't make their money from advertisements on soccer games. The advertisements in soccer are on the wall around the pitch and advertisements in American sports (like football) are thrown in every time they can get. There's several commercial breaks in American football. I've actually calculated it and I discovered that it takes 3 hrs. (yes, 3 hrs.) to play 1 hr. of football. RIDICULOUS! I was so annoyed with commercials every time it changed possessions. But in soccer commercials are awesome because they only happen at the half. So, in a nutshell, the media hates soccer, not Americans.

Funny you say that, because one thing I like about soccer is that it's easy for anyone to play, and easy to understand. That's why soccer is so big among grade-schoolers here. That's not to say everyone who goes out and starts playing will be any good, but even a crappy athlete can go out and have a good time with it.

Football (American) is very strategic, and very difficult to play. And if you don't know what you're doing, you'll probably get hurt.

BQ: Baseball is considered "America's Pastime", and has a much richer history here than probably any other sport. But I'd say American football is probably the most popular spectator sport here.

American football is definitely harder to play. I played both and soccer was just too easy. Running back and forth on the field; yeah it's a good cardio workout, but NOTHING like throwing on pads and going through two-a-days in the Texas heat. American football is hands down more difficult than soccer.

• AZ

Played both, and they're such different sports, that I'm not sure they're comparable. Different attributes are considered positives when playing each sport.

As far as conditioning goes, I'll say that soccer demands much more cardio and endurance than American football. On the other hand, I'd say that body strength and muscular physique is much more needed in American football than soccer. Plus, I know there are different positions in soccer, but there are in American football too, and the positions in American football, in my opinion, differ so much more greatly than in soccer.

In soccer, all players must be lean, fast, good foot-eye coordination, and have great endurance.

American Football:

Offensive and Defensive Lineman - big, a little weight in the middle sometimes helps as they're harder to move. Massive upper body strength. Great footwork and hand speed. Not too fast on their feet. Outside OL and DL, less weight and more muscle. Usually faster and quicker too.

Quarterback - must be able to throw football accurately. Lean, muscular, quick, not always real fast though.

Running Backs (offense) & Linebackers (defense) - huge strength in arms and legs. Must be very, very quick and fast.

Wide Receivers (offense) & Defensive Backs/Safeties (defense) - fastest players on the field. Tall, lean, very, very quick, stop and go speed a huge must.

Tight Ends (offense) - mix between a lineman and wide receiver. Big, muscular, not the fastest, must be able to block and catch passes.

Punters and kickers - specialty skill. Usually not very fast. Usually not the fastest or quickest either.

So all in all, soccer players much better conditioned, American football players, much more muscular. Although depending on position in American Football, many are well conditioned too. Both sports require lots of skill to be good at too. Much more so for certain positions in American football.

Both sports are fun to play and watch. As for a "main" sport in the U.S., there isn't one. Big three are baseball, basketball, and American football. As far as television ratings and attendance, American football would be the most popular.

Source(s): I know it was kinda a "long winded" answer, but American Football is very different and there's a lot to cover, especially if you're not terribly familiar with it. Also there's a lot of money made in advertising in sports over here, with commercials and stuff. Since soccer doesn't really have timeouts and is continuously played from minute to minute, a lot of companies are reluctant to advertise during soccer games as they can't show a lot of commercials and stuff. Kinda shallow, but in today's America with the sports, everyone's looking to make money off of it, and that includes the companies that advertise commercials during timeouts or whatever when the game's on tv. Oh well!

I can't give an answer because I haven't played both, but I wanted to answer the bonus question. I HAVE played soccer, it started getting popular here in this country when I was a kid and in high school I had to play on the boys team because there wasn't a girl's team.

BA: The most watched sport in America is NASCAR

The most played sport in America is soccer

American football isn't easy to play, if it were no one would pay to watch the games. The same thing is true of football. The truth is that they are different games with different skills and physical requirements. The three most popular sports in America are football, basketball and baseball.

Football is much easier to play,,, im an absolute beast at it,,, ive tried Soccer bout 5 times, n i sucked every time!!!,,,

BQ: depends where u go,,, in New York, people like Baseball, but in Atlanta, its Football,,, depends where u go, that is,,,

Edit: heres the top 3 sports nationwide:

1: Football

2: Baseball

3: Basketball

Your Football Soccer I mean that's hard Work American Football to me is easy.

My main sport in my neck of the woods is Hockey another sport I'm good at

Yes,i have played both,but it just depends what position you play.

Being a receiver in American Football is probably just as hard as any soccer player for a few reasons.you don't "go out and run into a few people."That's a comment from someone who hasn't truly played football.When you're a receiver you have to run cross routes,streaks,hitch,reverse routs,block,or sometimes pretend to run a route to stretch out the field for your running back.

Mostly all soccer players do the same thing.I have watched it,and played it.Dribble,pass,dribble,pass,dribble,hit high near the goal and hope someone head-butts it in.There's obviously more,i have seen plenty of games.

Quarterback is the hardest position i know of.You have to remember COUNTLESS plays,your arm strength and accuracy has to be out of this world,you're constantly under pressure by 300 pound beasts,have to remember how much time is left,have to remember where your receivers are and where they will be according to their route,and throw it where they will be.or sometimes you have to play-action,where you pretend to give it to your running back and run the opposite way from 300 pound linemen and throw it while running.

Source(s): most positions in the NFL are equal to soccer players Quarterbacks>soccer players