Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 10 years ago

How do i get my puppy to let me put his harness on him!!!!?

I recently got a puppy. He is 11 weeks old and i want him to get socialized well. I have taken him for a few walks since i got him( last saturday) and i KNOW that he needs more walks. When he starts walking he is great, he stays on my left for the most part and he doesnt bark at cars or people. I noticed that when we past houses in my neighbor hood that also have a dog, he sniffed around in their yard. Is it ok to let him do that so he gets to now the scents of other dogs? But anyway, the big problem is his harness. He HATES putting it on. He bites it, and tugs at it when i try to put it on. Once he has it on he is fine though.I have tried distracting him with a teat but its not wroking very well. HELP!! He is a bluetick coonhound and blue heeler mix, with possibly some beagle just so you know. I want to be able to take him to parks and walk him a lot to burn off his energy but it stresses me out when i try to put it on him. i can tell that i raise my voice and i get more aggressive when i try to and i dont mean to cuz i know it sends offf negative energy. PLEASE HELP!

Putting Harness On Dog

long walks and puppies are a complete no no. as the first answerer said their joints will get damaged.

short walks of 10 minutes no more ..thats once a day and very short periods of playtime in your back garden or indoors..of about 5 to 10 minutes. If puppy is getting tired stop.

You HAVE TO STOP BEING ANGRY AND AGGRESSIVE.

The puppy is associating the annoyance and aggression with the harness.

Try putting the harness near him not on him..during playtime.

When he is very sleepy..put his harness on.. let him sleep a couple of hours with it

wake up and have it on during playtime and feeding.

After an hour take it off..while he is wide awake.

Keep doing this..eventually it will get easier.

Always speak gently to your puppy..he is a baby.. and will still be a baby till he is 3.

Negative energy creates nervous sad unhappy dogs and can even produce aggressive dogs.

so be positive always..and gentle.

If you feel yourself getting angry /aggressive and shouting..take yourself to another room away from the puppy.. because they can read us like a book.

Dogs and puppies will NOT bond with aggressive angry people.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

I recently got a puppy. He is 11 weeks old and i want him to get socialized well. I have taken him for a few walks since i got him( last saturday) and i KNOW that he needs more walks. When he starts walking he is great, he stays on my left for the most part and he doesnt bark at cars or people. I...

Source(s): puppy put harness him: https://tr.im/QsuJI

You are right..it is important not to get frustrated. Switch to a slip lead for a while. then go back to harness. Make sure you get one that is comfortable and well fitted. In the meantime, work obedience with your pup...sit, stay, down, leave it and off. When he is doing OK with all of that, put the harness down in the correct position on the floor in front of you. Call your dog to you and tell him 'step in', or down. Treat him and manuever the harness into place and snap or buckle. Hope that works for you. Good luck.

The best thing that I could suggest to you would be attempting to put the harness on your pup while he is engaged with something positive, eg: nibbling on some treats, this helps because dogs learn by association. If the putting on the harness is associated with something positive ( like treats, praise, games, etc ) he is more likely to be responsive

Remember, be patient!!

Good luck :)

What is the harness? i always reccomed a gentle leader for walks. He probable wont like putting that on either but it gives You the controle more than anything I have seen. Its ok to LET your dog smell something, but only on your terms. If he smells something and pulls to it then no, You dont follow him to smells, he follows you. I always discourage treats too. In dog world, who gives away food?? A wuss that who. It is a sign of weekness. Your dog is behaving badly when the harness is being put on so praise and treats are send the compleatly oposite message. Try grabbing the skin on the back of the neck or the snout. dogs hate this because you are telling them that you are the boss. SO they struggle. Stick to your guns and never back down. If you watch dog shows, they are always leading the dog by holding their snout. Trust me this works. It takes some work and training though. Good luck.

Dont take him on long walks because it messes up their joints, when theyre puppies. Also make sure he has had all his injections.

Maybe teach him how to stay, then make him stay when you put the harness on.

lol aww i love puppies:)

well id say another way if the treat dont work get a lil plate put some peanut butter on it

it will destract him dogs love peanut butter or have some one sit in front of him an like talk to him and pet him scratch his ears or something

Source(s): my dogs bites her leash when i try to put it on

Well, isn't that just tough sh!t what your dog doesn't like. YOU are the BOSS, not the dog! At 11 weeks old, this is very unacceptable behavior, and shouldn't be tolerated, it's only going to get worse as he gets old.

run around with him get him all tired and wen hes outta breath and laying down, put it on him then let him rest then take him on a walk