Will an 18 gauge earring fit in my 20 gauge hole?

i got my cartilage peirced with a standard earring, 20 gauge. i was out buying some earrings at walmart from the brand "hot silver" they had my 20 gauge size but the 18 gauge doesnt look too much bigger. i was wondering if it would fit in my ear. i dont really want any pain going on. and i dont want to have to go through the heailing prosess again. i just want to know if it will fit okay.

Favorite Answer

with a cartilage earring, probably not. they don't really naturally stretch the same way ear lobe holes do, and it would be painful to push it through.

• bynd

20 Gauge Cartilage Earrings

In my experience (I've done exactly this, by the way) it will irritate it a little, but if you're careful, it won't get infected again. Your cartilage doesn't stretch very well, but moving from a 20 to an 18 isn't that big of a change.

The safest way to do would be with a taper (that's what people use to gauge their piercings). You could also find a sewing needle at home that's about the same thickness as your new jewelry. Sterilize it and slowly push it through your piercing. This won't be at all like getting it pierced - the pointy part of the needle won't touch you because it's much thinner than your piercing. Because the end of the needle is thinner and it gets thicker as you go, it will slide through your ear, slowly stretching it to the width of the new earring. (This is exactly what a real taper would do.) I've done this several times without complications. It also works if a piercing ever gets too tight, or starts to close up. (You shouldn't think of it a re-piercing, it's simply stretching your existing piercing.)

Though of course the best thing to do would be to go to a reputable piercing parlor and ask them to put it in for you. Most places will do it for under five dollars, and they'll have tapers and the expertise and experience. But you can definitely do it for yourself if you're confident. After you put it in, clean it carefully for a week or so.

Also, just FYI, it's a very good idea for you to use a higher gauge jewelry; piercings are more stable and less likely to get ripped out, traumatized, or re-infected if you have a higher gauge.

Source(s): 18 piercings
  • ai

18 Gauge Cartilage Earrings

it'll hurt simply because you're gauging cartilage but it will work if you're careful and work through it. gauging cartilage is a lot more risky and painful than gauging lobes or and softer flesh, but its been done AND going from 20g to 18g isn't as big a jump as the bigger gauges...at all. warm up the area first by rubbing, and maybe put something to lube the piercing on.

Source(s): i have gauges. :D