Is the confederate flag offensive to you?

I have noticed a few users claiming Obama is a fascist while using the confederate flag as their avatar. This symbol is no less offensive to me than a swastika, perhaps more offensive as this flag has affected me negatively in my lifetime. Most people who call me names embrace this flag; how is it "pc" to call the president a fascist while embracing the confederate flag?

@Pilgrim

I passed fifth grade; the "war b/w the states" happened over a century later, and your point is??

• Drexl
    Best Answer

Yes it's offensive, and I grew up in Florida where I had to see it constantly. Everybody I knew who flew it was a racist, and I knew a lot of people there. Luckily, I don't have to see it in California now.

The geniuses who are saying "This is USA, they are free to do that" or anything similar to that completely miss the point. Yes, they have that right, just like I have the right to walk around and be a jerk to everybody around me. Just because you have a right, doesn't mean you should exercise it.

These days almost anything is offensive to someone.Since the U.S. Supreme Court has ruled burning the American flag is an expression of free speech,then folks like you will have to accept the display of the Confederate flag as a legitimate expression of free speech.While in college,I tacked a 3'x5' Confederate flag to my dorm room wall.Only one person ever complained about it.Another student,whose father had been an officer in the German army during World War Two,displayed a Nazi flag (swastika and all) in his dorm room window.Yet another student kept a framed picture of Adolf Hitler on his wall.One Jewish student went berserk about it,but the picture remained.The point is freedom of expression is more important than someone being offended.

It's very offensive to me for idiots to use the Confederate flag. I can also understand how it might be offensive to you.

While the flag is not negative at all to me, I will refrain from using it because it offends you.

However, there needs to be some acceptable symbol to remind us all of what can happen when hot heads pull everyone into an unnecessary war.

There is also a big vacuum in our history books when it comes to mentioning the vast number of women and children that were starved in the south by the Union's scorched earth type of warfare that destroyed food crops and burned cities. It was their mission to maximize collateral damage to non-combatants.

That tactic doesn't really give me a warm and fuzzy feeling about the good ole red, white and blue of civil war years.

flying a confederate flag today is akin to flying the north vietnamese flag in 1966.

both are symbols of our nation's enemies, and the people who fly either should be regarded as such.

.

Source(s): . proud veteran who didn't fight in either war.

I don't find the flag offensive. A flag is a symbol of something. What do you think the Confederate flag is a symbol of? If you are a Southerner, you take pride in that flag as a symbol of the South, their independence, their strenght, their culture. But if you think the flag is a symbol for slavery, then you won't like it. But the symbol is in the eye of the beholder.

Some people see a baby and go "awww, isn't it cute". Others see a baby and go "get that slobbering stinky poop away from me". Who's right?

No. Where the Nazi variant of the Swastika represents absolutely nothing but one demented man's ability to seize power and commit genocide, the Confederate flag represents the fight for states' rights, something I think isn't talked about enough. True, the right in question was the right to have slavery, but it is a states' rights issue none the less.

• Pace

The Confederate flag was used to represent the South. It's part of the history and culture of this great nation, and trying to make it villainous by saying it represents slavery is absurd, and shows ignorance as to the details of the Civil War.

Some people use it as a tool for racism, and they're morons who should not be given any thought or consideration. But the flag itself should not be (and in my opinion is not)something "evil".

All flags fly freely, or none fly The only country in the world this can happen in is the USA. I love the smart smart mouth, big brains, ivory tower intellectuals that's spew their crap while never spilling, nor defending the USA. Yo big brainers---go to the country of your choice and get off the back of America, as if we needed you keyboard strokes to achieve victory. Make your predictions, but choose a side, one day the -power goes off and I stand at your door, no time to check in with Yahoo Answers, public opinion, or the government of your choice. Enjoy your day in the sun, the time is June 8pm CST, the sun is almost set. May your Dream On and Scream ON, makes no difference to me.

The confederate flag is only honored by people who hate the U.S. Who else would fly an enemy flag, that wanted to destroy the union, and continue slavery.

No. You compare it to a swastika? Then you know nothing about history.

How has the confederate flag "affected you negatively in your lifetime?" Did you make some crack at a good old boy and get your butt whipped? What?

Source(s): RLP, you got that right.