Modify a computer power supply - 12V, 32A?

I would like to use a computer power supply (because they're cheap) to run a pump that states it runs on 12V and draws 32A. I was wondering what modifications I could do to get somewhat close to that number. I would like to get at least 25A at 12V. Any suggestions?

• Frank
    Favorite Answer

get a supply with a single 12v, 35 amp rail, since you will be running a motor with it, get one with automatic power factor correction, and to save a little energy get one with high efficiency. A pc power supply will not turn on unless a motherboard is present, or you modify it, on the 24pin connector there is a light green wire, you must cut it off of the connector, and connect it to a ground wire, that will allow you to turn it on without a pc.

this power supply has 33A 12v continuous duty, it's 80+ efficient, and has power factor correction.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N8...

I would go with nothing less then that.

• Bjorn

If the pump draws 32A, you are not going to want to use a power supply that is not capable of supplying at least 32A. If you do, you are going to likely cause a fire hazard as the pump will try to pull 32A and the PSU will overwork trying to provide those amps.

• Karz

Modding a PSU is not easy and may just be costly. Just buy a PSU with high ratings. Here's one that is rated at 50 amps on +12V rail;

PSUs have overload protection. Once a PSU senses excessive load or a short, it will just shut down.

Source(s): Personal experience with my 13 PSUs ranging from 325 to 700W.
  • TC 422

You can do it, you'll just need to know which cable to use. These days, the 12V rails, both the -12V and +12V, you were unclear as yo which you need, are the PCI-e cables. Go for a Corsair 750W. It can do 60A. You could go for the 550W or 650W but you'd only save $10.