Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Did the Apostle John anticipate all the different faiths yet to come claiming to follow the Christ?

John warns.

"Dear friends, don't believe everyone who claims to have the Spirit of God. Test them all to find out if they really do come from God. Many false prophets have already gone out into the world, and you can know which ones come from God." 1 John 4:1-2 .

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

The biblical test for a false prophet was given long before John's day, and is found in Deut. 18:20-2: “’But the prophet who speaks a word presumptuously in My name which I have not commanded him to speak, or which he speaks in the name of other gods, that prophet shall die.' You may say in your heart, 'How will we know the word which the LORD has not spoken?' When a prophet speaks in the name of the LORD, if the thing does not come about or come true, that is the thing which the LORD has not spoken. The prophet has spoken it presumptuously; you shall not be afraid of him.”

From "The Nations Shall Know That I am Jehovah--How?" published by the Watchtower Bible & Tract Society in 1971:

"World War I having ended on November 11, 1918, and the postwar world having set in, they keenly listened in the year 1919, after their revival, to HEAR WHAT JEHOVAH HAD TO SAY TO THEM THROUGH HIS CHARIOTLIKE ORGANIZATION." (P. 54)

“So it is with the modern-day counterpart of Ezekiel: it is, not one person’s body, but a composite body, made up of many members. All these members were together to do the will of Jehovah, who is the Creator of this modern “Ezekiel.” Who, then, are the group of persons who, toward the beginning of this ‘time of the end,’ WERE COMMISSIONED TO SERVE AS THE MOUTHPIECE AND ACTIVE AGENT OF JEHOVAH? In order to determine this, check the history of 1919…” (PP. 58-59)

"Whom could the real 'chariot' of Jehovah's organization roll up to and confront that He might bestow upon this qualified one THE COMMISSION TO SPEAK AS A PROPHET IN THE NAME OF JEHOVAH? Ah, there was a group whose members had suffered persecution during World War I...Who were they?" (p. 61)

"From atop this celestial chariotlike organization Jehovah commissioned this dedicated, baptized, anointed class of servants TO SPEAK TO ALL THE NATIONS IN HIS NAME. Thus, like Ezekiel, they became Jehovah's witnesses. It was most fitting that, after twelve years of worldwide activity as such, they embraced the distinguishing name Jehovah's witnesses." (p. 66)

“Likewise, it was a trying mission upon which the modern Ezekiel class was sent, to religious people of the same type as those in Ezekiel’s day. But regardless of how Christendom views or regards this group of ANOINTED witnesses of Jehovah, the time must come, and that shortly, WHEN THOSE MAKING UP CHRISTENDOM WILL KNOW THAT REALLY A ‘PROPHET’ OF JEHOVAH WAS AMONG THEM.” (p. 70)

What was the first test concerning a prophet? That they claim to speak in the name of Jehovah. That the Watchtower Society claimed to speak in Jehovah's name is well documented in this publication.

Page 216, same publication: “Shortly, WITHIN OUR TWENTIETH CENTURY, the ‘battle in the day of Jehovah’ WILL BEGIN against the modern antitype of Jerusalem, Christendom…However, Jehovah’s ‘sword’ will not be applied merely to those adhering to Christendom. It will also be brandished against ‘all flesh from south [Christendom] to north.’ Religionists belonging to all the rest of the world empire of false religion will feel the cutting edge of Jehovah’s ‘sword.’ Their being non-Christians will not cause them to be spared. They will not be left to gloat over the destruction of Christendom as a rival religious system.”

In the very same publication in which the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society claimed to be "comissioned to serve as the mouthpiece" of Jehovah, to "speak to all the nations in His name," they uttered a false prophecy. The 20th century DID NOT witness the battle of Armageddon, nor the destruction of Christendom.

The Watchtower Bible and Tract Society is a false prophet.

• 1 decade ago

I am always impressed with the tenacity of the Jehovah Witness's , and their passion for study in the Bible, (albeit with their literature, AIDS, and other books from the WT) Would that all people study in a disciplined manner as they appear to do.

Yes, the Apostle John .....and Paul too, anticipated different faiths or certain people to be different leaders in the faith, and the true Gospel of Christ , hence the multiple warnings by Jesus, Paul, and John of those preaching a false gospel.

As to false prophets....they must be defined as calling themselves prophets, and did the WatchTower ever do this? Yes they have. However, other than the Watchtower magazine 4-1-72 where the organization says they are the prophet for Jehovah....I had not put more into the reasoning or facts from their published material to add clarity to that.

Today is an eye opener.

Having read @ Peacelillys assembled facts of history, I dont see how any servant of Jehovah, who say they Love Jehovah, cannot take time to open their eyes, mind and heart, to feel the impact of what the Organization keeps trying to avoid. It is major WatchTower faux paux. Ditto to her post as incorporated in full in my answer

I am sure it was written with the intention to give pause to, for lack of a better term, "seeing lighter light and truth." Indeed, if the Organization, is a False Prophet , (and by its own publications, and failed prophecies, it is) surely the followers wish to know the truth, yes?

My prayer would be, "Jehovah, if this is all true, that indeed, the Watchtower has believed these things, and now try to conceal it, or divert it to mean something else, How can I continue to follow them? And if they are wrong here, are they also wrong about who Jesus is ? Help me Jehovah to see you for who you really are and the truth of this. "

Even so, come Lord Jesus

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

1John 4:1, here John is referring to those who teach & promote error in the teaching of God's Word.

False prophets obey evil spirits. A true prophet /pastor receives his revelation from the Word of God.

1jOHN 4:2:

The true test of whether a teacher / pastor is led by the Holy Spirit is if their beliefs agree with the truth of God's Word [2:22-25], that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh.

• Rick G
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

John, Paul, Peter, James and Jude made it clear that there would be those who would turn the true faith into something that would be defective.

(Acts 20:29-30) 29 I know that after my going away oppressive wolves will enter in among YOU and will not treat the flock with tenderness, 30 and from among YOU yourselves men will rise and speak twisted things to draw away the disciples after themselves.

(2 Peter 3:15-16) 15 Furthermore, consider the patience of our Lord as salvation, just as our beloved brother Paul according to the wisdom given him also wrote YOU, 16 speaking about these things as he does also in all [his] letters. In them, however, are some things hard to understand, which the untaught and unsteady are twisting, as [they do] also the rest of the Scriptures, to their own destruction.

(James 4:4-6) 4 Adulteresses, do YOU not know that the friendship with the world is enmity with God? Whoever, therefore, wants to be a friend of the world is constituting himself an enemy of God. 5 Or does it seem to YOU that the scripture says to no purpose: “It is with a tendency to envy that the spirit which has taken up residence within us keeps longing”? 6 However, the undeserved kindness which he gives is greater. Hence it says: “God opposes the haughty ones, but he gives undeserved kindness to the humble ones.”

(Jude 4) 4 My reason is that certain men have slipped in who have long ago been appointed by the Scriptures to this judgment, ungodly men, turning the undeserved kindness of our God into an excuse for loose conduct and proving false to our only Owner and Lord, Jesus Christ.

And the messages that John received to give to the 7 congregations in the book of Revelation showed the effects of those who were corrupting them. Some of those congregations were endangered if they didn't respond to Jesus' warns of being "vomited out".

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Debs
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

Yes......The Lord showed John much about the future and what to expect.

• Asa
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

1Jo 4:6 We are of God: he that knoweth God heareth us; he that is not of God heareth not us. Hereby know we the spirit of truth, and the spirit of error.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

John could be a false prophet himself. Now theres a shocker for most christians! Something to think about when you die.

• 1 decade ago

What other explanation is there for that passage? Advertizers lie to get people to buy things. They make things up to entice people to buy the product, changing the product in the process. My friends, meet Christianity (the fake version).

• 1 decade ago

of course he did. They all did. Paul was combatting people who did not believe jesus rose from the dead. It was happening then they knew it would happen in the future.

• 1 decade ago

yes

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.