Which canister filter should I buy?

I currently have a fluval 305 canister filter for my 55 gallon parrot fish (cichlid) tank. It works well, but I find myself waiting longer than I should to do filter changes, because I don't like trying to restart the filter. It's supposed to self-prime, but it doesn't. I end up making trips back and... show more I currently have a fluval 305 canister filter for my 55 gallon parrot fish (cichlid) tank. It works well, but I find myself waiting longer than I should to do filter changes, because I don't like trying to restart the filter. It's supposed to self-prime, but it doesn't. I end up making trips back and forth from the kitchen emptying the thing out and trying to get it started again. I've also had it leak on me once, and I did nothing wrong. In fact, it leaks on me about 1/3 of the time. I want to make a change, and I have heard Eheim is a GREAT brand. I am used to filling filter bags, and using sponges and baskets, so that's no big deal. In fact I think buying that stuff in bulk and putting it together is cheaper than cartridges, isn't it?

Drs. Foster and Smith.com is having a good sale on filters right now, so I will likely buy from there.

http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/fish-supplies/aquarium-filter/aquarium-canister-filter/ps/c/3578/3579/3580

Which should I buy? What works well for you and why?

Thank you!!