Culturally speaking: Do you think that top high school students are the ones always living the good life later?

So in high school people always think the valedictorian or the top honor students will be the ones who go on to do big things in life and make the big bucks. Honestly, life has taught me a different lesson. I graduated salutatorian in a class of about 200 seniors, it has been two years since I have been out of high school and already I have heard some news:

1. Our valedictorian is currently at Harvard and as a very low GPA there, she is trying to transfer out to an easier university.

2. Most of the honor grads are average students at a top university and according to their facebook status, they are miserable there.

3. Two students who graduated at the bottom half of their class in high school ended up making 4.0 GPAs in community college. One is transferring to Northwestern University in Chicago and another is spending his final two years at Brown University. Amazing.

I saw my doctor today, for fun I asked him what GPA he finished with in high school. He told me he finished with a 2.7 GPA in high school, went to a smaller university and maintained a 3.9 GPA there and finished his final two years at UNC Chapel Hill. He went to Med school at Johns Hopkins.

Anyways, I want your views and experiences.

Currently I am at Columbia University in NYC taking some easy summer courses. I have a 3.7 GPA here right now and I am glad I did not get cocky after getting into some Ivy League schools.

Favorite Answer

i ditched alot of my high classes to smoke weed everyday. and here i am about to join the FBI. i cleaned up my act and made it in life .i love my life. i'm happy. the valedictorian to my high school is doing 15 years in prison for armed robbery. so the answer to your question is no.

If your valedictorian has a low GPA at Harvard and the students from you class attending community college are doing well, perhaps you went to an easy high school.

Personally, I don't see the point in going to an Ivy League school for an undergrad degree, you end up with grad students teaching your classes, and most grad students have no idea how to teach. I plan on getting my Masters (but no more than that, I do not want to write a book), and I am quite happy at my small Women's college where there is a single lecture hall used mostly for intro to sociology and intro to psychology. A freshmen course in my major consisted of only four students. I know that one of the students who graduated from the program I am currently in is no getting her Masters at Chapel Hill in the same program that I want, and Chapel Hill is the top school in the nation for that degree.

• Donna

I attend The George Washington University, Washington, D.C. I graduated at the top of my class and won a generous scholarship at an elite institution. Maybe you're right, but I think the majority of those who are successful in high school continue the pattern at University. After a year of hard work, I have a 3.8 GPA and have been on the Dean's list two semesters in a row.

Not really,a public highschool isnt so helpful, not with all the drama & rudeness & fighting & that gos on in the highschools unless its a private school then I would say yes its worth it because then they will be taught discipline & how to be organized & more individual attention

• .

It depends on the student and competitiveness of the university. It's all relative.

You sound a little jealous. Why even care? Just handle your own business.

Obviously.

I have a 3.9 GPA and I plan to go to college for a degree in biotechnology.

High school really don't matter.

When you applied to grad school, the only GPA that they take into account is college.

The top high school students do live better lives later actually.

it depends upon the person who study.concentration to study and to achieve in life they makes difference.if they are diverted they wont be the same as they were before.

• Haley

As the saying goes: Suck up to the nerds now, because they will be your boss later