Culturally speaking: Do you think that top high school students are the ones always living the good life later?

So in high school people always think the valedictorian or the top honor students will be the ones who go on to do big things in life and make the big bucks. Honestly, life has taught me a different lesson. I graduated salutatorian in a class of about 200 seniors, it has been two years since I have been out of high... show more So in high school people always think the valedictorian or the top honor students will be the ones who go on to do big things in life and make the big bucks. Honestly, life has taught me a different lesson. I graduated salutatorian in a class of about 200 seniors, it has been two years since I have been out of high school and already I have heard some news:

1. Our valedictorian is currently at Harvard and as a very low GPA there, she is trying to transfer out to an easier university.
2. Most of the honor grads are average students at a top university and according to their facebook status, they are miserable there.
3. Two students who graduated at the bottom half of their class in high school ended up making 4.0 GPAs in community college. One is transferring to Northwestern University in Chicago and another is spending his final two years at Brown University. Amazing.

I saw my doctor today, for fun I asked him what GPA he finished with in high school. He told me he finished with a 2.7 GPA in high school, went to a smaller university and maintained a 3.9 GPA there and finished his final two years at UNC Chapel Hill. He went to Med school at Johns Hopkins.

Anyways, I want your views and experiences.

Currently I am at Columbia University in NYC taking some easy summer courses. I have a 3.7 GPA here right now and I am glad I did not get cocky after getting into some Ivy League schools.