Should schools/parents discourage kids from seeking out a best friend?

I just read an article about schools trying to keep kids from forming close bonds as a way of squashing bullying. When they see two children becoming close or spending lots of time together, they're interfering and "discouraging anything that hints of exclusivity." They're trying to get kids to have big groups of friends.

Why is it that nowadays adults are always getting in the way of children growing up and having/going through their own experiences? They're crippling these kids.

And don't they have it backwards? When did bullying start happening in pairs?

Favorite Answer

Wow, so instead suspending the bully and actually doing something they do this stupid crap to stop it from happening at all? God the school system is full of a bunch of idiots.

I haven't heard of this happen before but I don't agree with it. Since when does having a best friend equal bullying? And what exactly do they mean by having big groups of friends? If someone is force to have a big group a friends then that person might not keep tract of everyone. They might not get along with everyone in said group and some people don't like to be around a lot of people and would prefer to hang out with only a few people. Plus there is no way the school can stop the students from getting a best friend out of school and either way I don't see this stopping kids from getting bullied and may make the situation worse. I'd say instead of forcing everyone to be friends with each other they actually do something useful when bullying does occur and stop doing all of these ridiculous things. Besides, didn't any of the teachers/staff have a best friend growing up or even a best friend now? Why would they denied the kids from having one. I could go on but either way this is ridiculous and won't work.

That's stupid kids should form strong bonds....with good people that is. Everyone at some point gets picked on and having friends help this because a true friend will stick up for the other and offer encouragement. Not beat up the bully but tell there friend what matters is that they have a friend and that what that bully says is not right or true.

This will help build there self esteem and in the end there will be less issues as children will learn not to care what people say or do to them. (I.e. do as in little bullying stuff which would be told to a teacher)

That sounds like it would be backward. I have a friend that I have had since I was 3 years old, and even though we have had ups and downs in our friendship, we are still pretty close. Even if I have not spoken to her in months, when we get together its like that time flew by.

I think it would be wrong to discourage kids from having a best friend. Just make sure they socialize with other people as well.

I think that children should be encouraged to form strong bonds as it helps them to develop socially in later life. Stronger bonds create empathy in children and they will learn how to interact. With regards to bullying, a strong bond doesn't usually cause bullying as in a case of two children bullying another, the bully has usually intimidated the accomplice into carrying out the act and therefore is not a strong bond. If strong bonds are discouraged then how can children learn how to form friendships and get the support that they need?

I think that children should be encouraged to have large group of friends but I also think it's good to have just a few that they are very close too. Our whole lives are about making relationships. Also I don't think that schools have any right to interfere in the lives of the children.. they are there to teach Math, Science, History, etc. and that is all. I think that's overstepping... they have no right to be involved in their personal lives.

Oh good God. Everyone (children and adults alike) need at least one person that will be there, will have fun with them, will stick up for them etc....There are plenty of children who don't do the large circle of friend mentality well and shouldn't be forced to.

children need other children!!! down with that school!!! shame on them!! i agree with you 100 percent. and most bullies start at home by themselves and they pick weaker children to bully them into his pack but that normally doesn't happen til jr high. all kids should have alot of friends but WE ALL have that one special person we share everything with so why not our kids?

• A User

That's some serious BS. I would switch school.

It's stupid on so many levels, I don't know where to start.

• that is so wrong on so many levels.

i would switch schools