Got any good summer reading suggestions?

I'm looking for generally upbeat, plot driven books - can be historical fiction, contemporary, fantasy, romance, adventure....basically anything that's not sci-fi.

Best Answer

In HISTORICAL Fiction, here are some I (Fittings Doc) would recommend:

"The Name of the Rose" by Umberto Eco.

It is an historical whodunnit (murder mystery) set in an Italian monastery in the year 1327.

"Horatio Hornblower" novels by C. S. Forester

Story of the Naval career of a British sea officer about the time of Nelson.

"Sharpe's Rifles" the first prequel novel in the series written by Bernard Cornwell.

The story of a British rifleman, serving in Wellington's army against Napolean.

The "Aubrey/Maturin" novels of Patrick O'Brian which begin with "Master and Commander"

(The source for the "Master & Commander" movie)

"The King's Coat" first book of "Alan Lewrie" series by Dewey Lambdin.

about a young libertine whose father forces him to join the navy, where he discovers he relishes battle at sea as well as the women ashore.

"Ramage" first book in the series by Dudley Pope, about a British naval officer who receives special orders from Admiral Nelson to perform a daring rescue operation during the Napoleonic Wars

"Brian Boru: Emperor of the Irish" (1990 / 224 pages) by Morgan Llewellyn

(IRISH historical fiction)

"Lion of Ireland" (1980 / 400 pages) by Morgan Llewellyn

(IRISH historical fiction)

A novel about the life of the Irish hero and High King Brian Boru.

There is another Irish Historical book about Boudica (the Warior QUEEN of the Celts), but I cannot remember the title, though I think Morgan LLewellyn might be the author of that book as well.

While gathering my list I came across this webpage with far more than I have read.

http://www.historicalnovels.info/Napoleo…

In FANTASY here are some I (Fittings Doc) would recommend:

*** Read FREE Online at BAEN FREE Library http://www.baen.com/library/

“Waylander II: In the Realm of the Wolf” (1992 / 320 pages) by David Gemmell

(fifth book of the “Drenai Saga”) (The MASTER of Heroic fantasy)

It has a FEMALE main character.

Hell EVERYTHING by David Gemmell is worth reading!!!

He is a master at character development and readability.

If you like HEROIC FANTASY, You’ll find you cannot put his books down.

"Polgara the Sorceress" (1997/ 768 pages) by David Eddings

(a prequel to his masterwork series "The Belgariad" and "The Malloreon")

It has a FEMALE main character.

"The Elf Queen of Shannara" (1992 / 368 pages) by Terry Brooks

(the third book of the tetralogy "The Heritage of Shannara").

It has a FEMALE main character.

"Sheepfarmer's Daughter" (1988 / 512 pages) by Elizabeth Moon ***

(first book of the “Deed of Paksenarrion” trilogy)

It has a FEMALE main character.

"The Mists of Avalon” (1979) by Marion Zimmer Bradley

(first book of the “Avalon” series)

Which relates the Arthurian legends from the perspective of the FEMALE characters.

“Daughter of the Empire” (1987 / 394 pages) by Raymond E. Feist with Janny Wurts

(first book of “The Empire Trilogy”)

It has a FEMALE lead character.

“Arrows of the Queen” (1987 / 320 pages) by Mercedes Lackey

(first book of the “Heralds of Valdemar” series)

"The Riddle-Master of Hed" (1976 / 227 Pages) by Patricia A. McKillip

(first book of "The Riddle-Master trilogy")

(The third book in the trilogy, “Harpist in the Wind”, Won the Locus Award and was a nominee for the World Fantasy Award and Hugo Award )

“The Crystal Shard" (1988 / 384 pages) by R.A. Salvatore.

(the first book of "The Icewind Dale Trilogy")

"An Oblique Approach" (1998 / 480 pages) by Eric Flint & David Drake ***

(first book of the "Belisarius" series)

"The Misplaced Legion" (1987 / 336 pages) by Harry Turtledove

(first book of the "Videssos" series)

One of Julius Caesar's legions is transported to a world with magic.

In GENERAL FICTION, here are some I (Fittings Doc) would recommend:

"The Firm" (1991 / 501 pages) by John Grisham (my FAVORITE book)

A 1st year lawyer discovers that his firm represents the MOB, the partners have "eliminated" other lawyers at "The Firm" and he is being pressured by the FBI to reveal information that would end his legal career!

"The Rainmaker" (1995 / 576 pages) by John Grisham

The story of a new lawyer representing a poor young man dying from leukemia, who is suing his insurance company for having withheld treatment, due to the greed/fraud of an Insurance company.

"The King of Torts" (2002 / 400 pages) by John Grisham

Deals with "Class Action" lawsuits.

Source(s): A life reading adventure novels of all kinds.
  • renner

This is a mixture of historical fiction -actually a fiction based on nonfiction- romance and a plot-driven piece: In the Time of the Butterflies by Julia Alvarez. It's on my "recommended for summer" reading list from school, which I've decided to give a go. I'm about halfway through and am liking it a lot so far.

For something that is less "upbeat" but is full of character and charm, try Fried Green Tomatoes by Fannie Flagg. I guess it's a mixture of romance and adventure. And if you haven't yet, definitely pick up A Tree Grows in Brooklyn! And I suppose I should also recommend To Kill a Mockingbird, but it's often taught at school (like at mine) so you've probably already read it.

And finally, this one I haven't personally read, but my dad (45) and good friend (15) both really enjoyed it, so I'm guessing it fits a wide range. Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford.. The title sounds a bit tacky, but they recommend it, and I'll definitely give it a go when I'm done with Butterflies.

Hope this helps!

The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger is really, really good lol. I love it, and it has been made into a movie which is being released in December. It's a love story about a time traveler. Also, any books by Jodi Picoult are good, but The Pact, My Sister's Keeper, The Tenth Circle and Nineteen Minutes are especially good, and involve teenagers, so may be more applicable/interesting to you. Or maybe you could try a classic like Little Women or Gone With the Wind. These are both about the American Civil War, but are classic and romantic. Hope these helped, as these are my favourites!

Have you read The Catcher in the Rye yet? Or if you are looking for something a little more upbeat, than perhaps try The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. While it can be considered sci-fi, give it a chance as it is really something very unique.

This is not a happy book, so if you wanted something upbeat, maybe you shouldn't read it. Anyway, there's this great book called Impulse. It's by Ellen Hopkins. Her books are written in free verse poetry and they are very easy reads. They may seem intimidating at first, due to their extreme thickness, but really each page only holds around a paragraph of reading material. I say to read Impulse, but really you could read any of her books.

Another recommendation is This Lullaby by Sarah Dessen. Sarah Dessen is an incredible author and her novels are happy, so if you want a cute story, you should one of Mrs. Dessen's. Once again, I say to read This Lullaby, but really all of her books are great. However, if you're looking for a happy story, I don't suggest that you read her novel Dreamland.

My last recommendation is Something, Maybe by Elizabeth Scott. This book is boy meets girl with an extreme twist! It swept me off of my feet, and I think you'd enjoy it thoroughly.

I hope you try one of my suggestions. None of them are sci-fi. haha. Enjoy your summer reading, I know I will!

Source(s): Check out these sites to see some of the books I wrote about: http://www.ellenhopkins.com/ http://www.sarahdessen.com/books http://www.elizabethwrites.com/books

Nefertiti, A Novel by Michelle Moran

The Book Thief or I am the Messenger, both by a fantastic author - Markus Zusak.

A New Earth by Eckhart Tolle

summer crossing by truman capote

RINGWORLD

ONE OF MY FAV BOOKS