My credit stinks. Whats the best way to fix it? Do it yourself, credit counseling, Ch7, or Ch13?

Hello all! My credit is terrible. After the sudden loss of my husband and a voluntary reposession, I am in a terrible credit situation. I would like to eventually purchase a home for my children but I have such terrible credit with so many little things on it (from medical bills to old CC's) that I really see... show more Hello all!
My credit is terrible. After the sudden loss of my husband and a voluntary reposession, I am in a terrible credit situation. I would like to eventually purchase a home for my children but I have such terrible credit with so many little things on it (from medical bills to old CC's) that I really see no way out.
If you were me, would you:
*Try to sort out the mess line by line and pay each creditor off individually (25+ items). This could take years.
*File Chapter 7 (i'm a widowed mother and would qualify based on my income) and wipe it all out and wait for 2 years before trying to purchase a home.
*File Chapter 13 (which requires that I pay a % of the debts back over a 3-5 year period) I would qualify for a home loan in 12-18 months versus the 2 years and I will have made at least some effort to repay my debts.
*Do nothing and continue to rent and make my landlord rich?

Before you reply, I do not need to be preached to or made to feel bad about the choices I've made. I realize that some of the reason i'm in this mess is due to my own choices, but some of it also had very little to do with me. I could not control the death of my husband, nor could I have imagined that the insurance company would not pay for or accept responsibility for the hidden damaged caused by my car accident. A small crack in my engine grew and my engine eventually died. I had no choice but to replace the engine and keep the car or have them pick it up. At the time, I did not have 5-8k lying around for another enine and the insurance company refused to help.

Please give me your honest advice.