A question for those who refuse to use the name Jehovah because they say the letter "J" isn't said in Hebrew?

But what about the Books of Joshua, Judges, Job, Jeremiah, Joel or the names of men such as Jesse, Jacob? These are in the Hebrew scriptures. Do you refuse to say these names also?

Thank You to Suzette R.

Jesus is our saviour, I am one of Jehovah's Witnesses.

David-If you would use a bible that doesn't remove God's name Jehovah and replace it with LORD in all caps, you would see that there is no trinity. Blinded you are.

• Rick G
    Best Answer

Yes, it does seem that as long as it is NOT God, a "J" is "J"ust fine with them.

Here is a YouTube presentation on the many names that are derived from God's name. I am not sure who put it together, but it is nicely done.

You are mistaken. Your point is irrelevant. We are talking about the ENGLISH Bible, the ENGLISH translations of the Hebrew Bible, such as found in modern English translations today, the New Revised Standard Version, the New American Standard Bible, the English Standard Version, the New King James Version, etc. Of course the letter "J" does not exist in Hebrew, but the letter "J" is abundantly found in English versions of Hebrew names in the Bible, including names like Jacob, John, Jesus. Modern translations have removed the name "Jehovah" from English Bibles, though earlier versions like the King James Version had the name. And the Hebrew text has YHWH some 7,000 times, which has been rendered in ENGLISH as "Jehovah" for nearly 500 years, If people are going to remove "Jehovah" from the English Bible because there is no "J" in Hebrew, then they should remove the name "Jesus" also, since the Hebrew word for "Jesus" has no "J" and "Jesus" is not the way that name was originally pronounced. But if you are speaking ENGLISH, then "Jehovah" is just as recognizable as the specific name of a specific Person, as "Jesus" is. "Yahweh" is more accurate according to which Hebrew manuscript? There is no ancient Hebrew manuscript that is pointed to read "Yahweh." "Yahweh" is just a scholarly guess, according to the Anchor Bible Dictionary, and is really based on the writings of Greek "church fathers," not on the Hebrew Bible. In the standard practice of the English Bible, "J" transliterates the Hebrew "Y" at the beginning of names.

David said: "The problem is that "Jehovah's witness" (JW) rejects the truth that JESUS is God, the truth that JESUS is Yahweh (Jehovah), John 8:58."

If Jesus is Jehovah, how do explain Luke 1:31, 32 in view of what Psalm 83:18 (KJV) says?

• Elijah

We can easily understand why many scholars prefer "Yahweh" since it clearly uses the four consonants YHWH. But why do we find so many Bibles using the name which has a "J"?

In the Middle Ages, the "Y" sound of the Greek "I" came to be written as either "I" or "J" (for the first letter of words, at least), and "Iesvs" became either "Iesvs" or, more ornamentally, "Jesvs." And, finally, the "v" came to be written as "u" and the name came into its final written form (in English) as "Jesus." (In fact, even the first editions of the King James Version still used the initial "I" instead of the equivalent "J" which shows that it was still pronounced "Yay-soos" in the English of 1611:

"In form, J was originally merely a [more ornamental] variation of `I,' arising in the 14th century .... Not until the middle of the 17th century did this usage [the new pronunciation of the new letter `J'] become universal in English books; in the King James Bible of 1611, for example, the words Jesus and judge are invariably Iesus and iudge." - p. 4823, Vol. 13, Universal Standard Encyclopedia (Funk & Wagnalls), 1955.

"In the word `hallelujah' the j retains its early consonantal value of i or y." - p. 571, Vol. 15, The Encyclopedia Americana, 1957.

So even for some years after the KJV began using the new letter "J," the pronunciation of it was still "Y." But eventually (18th century?) we began to have "Jesus" (and other "J" words, including "Jehovah," "Jeremiah," "Jerusalem," "Joshua," etc.) with the modern English pronunciation of those letters: "Jee-suz." Nearly all modern English Bibles have purposely retained the earlier tradition concerning biblical names, and "Jesus" (and "Jeremiah," "Jerusalem," "Joshua," etc.) remains in all modern English Bibles.

I believe there is nothing wrong with retaining this tradition even though it is not the original pronunciation of the name of the Messiah (Yehoshua) nor even the original Greek rendering of it (Yaysoos). It is still an honest transliteration of the original proper name of the Messiah, however, and it is common to all speakers of English. (In like manner, although `Cristobal Colon' may be the original pronunciation, I don't think it's wrong to call the famous explorer `Christopher Columbus' in modern English.)

In the same way the only proper name of God Himself, YHWH, which is used nearly 7000 times in the original writings of the Old Testament is sometimes transliterated as "Jehovah" in English (ASV, Young's, KJIIV, NWT, Byington, and, in some verses only, in NEB, MLB, KJV, and Living Bible) and, more rarely, as "Yahweh" (JB, NJB, and Rotherham). (Of course it is more often improperly rendered "LORD" in most places in most Bibles.)

So which is the proper pronunciation of God's name - "Jehovah" or "Yahweh"? Well, many Bible scholars in more recent times have preferred "Yahweh" as the probable original Hebrew pronunciation. But there is still more to say for "Jehovah" in addition to the fact that it is the older, more traditional, and better-known form.

"In the Elizabethan alphabet the letters 'u' and 'v' were the same letter as were and 'i' and 'j' " - http://www.elizabethan-era.org.uk/elizabethan-lang...

So "Iehouah" (Yehowah) could also be written "Jehovah."

Source(s): "How Was God's Name (YHWH) Pronounced?" http://searchforbibletruths.blogspot.com/2009/11/h...

If the critics were honest with themselves, they would realize that their refusal to use Jehovah and their views are based on bias, either their own or from someone they have been listening to.

Would it make sense if a person from Mexico went up to someone named Frank and told him he should go by Paco? Or would they ridicule Peter for not calling himself Pedro? And yet those that say we should be saying Yahweh instead of Jehovah are doing the same thing, insisting that we speak Hebrew when our language is English.

Finally, do they realize that they are using a form of Jehovah when they say Hallelujah in their churches and hymns?

• Maci

I tend to use the Hebrew names of these books and figures unless I'm talking to someone who is unfamiliar with them.

As a Jew, there are other reasons why I do not use the Anglicized attempt to pronounce the Divine Name. Only one of them is that it is simply not the actual Name, as anyone with even a basic knowledge of Hebrew would know.

Other religions have made the decision for themselves that since the name you use is commonly used in English that it is the best choice for them. This is the stance taken by the JWs. In their publications that have been translated into different languages, the name used is that used by that language group . . . but really, all of the information I'm giving you is available in the JWs own publications.

Doesn't David realise that the more he puts the witnesses down, the more it makes our love stronger for Jehovah?!!-- He is actually backing up what what the scriptures say !!!hahaha

• I read Hebrew and sometimes even pray in Hebrew. When I do, I use a Hebrew pronunciation for YHWH. Yes, there is a natural one according to the letters, whether or not it is exactly the ancient one given to Moses.

But my native language is English, and when I read God's name in English, or pray to God in English, I say "Jehovah."

Jehovah has answered a multitude of my prayers, so He must be comfortable with prayers to Him in any language, using whatever form for His name that is standard in that language.

But the argument that Hebrew has no "J" is irrelevant if your language is not Hebrew, or you are not reading or praying in Hebrew.

Source(s): The HOLY Bible

A valuable question with comment, well written and logical.

And I'll have to agree with a few others acknowledging those who who despise JWs by helping spread the good news of God's Kingdom with their excuses for answers. Thank you, David, for making the truth obvious by your blindness. Have a great day.

The "J" is also pronounced differently in Spanish. Yet Spanish Bibles have Jehovah all throughout.

LOL wow, I feel like I'm seeing things. :)) Thank You, Sis! Good question.

I would love to set up a study with one of the elders in our Cong with Mr. David...he should probably learn what the Bible actually teaches.