What is the closest North Carolina beach from Chattanooga, Tennessee?

I live in Chattanooga, TN, and I want to go to a beach in North Carolina. What and where is the closest beach?

Favorite Answer

The closest North Carolina beach to you is Wrightsville Beach, NC, located just outside of Wilmington, NC. It is located 545 miles, 8 hours, 48 minutes from Chattanooga. We've been to the clean Wrightsville Beach and to Wilmington - several times. Wilmington is located on the Cape Fear River and has a very nice RiverWalk area (see source below). Wilmington is full of history and a very interesting place for all ages. It is also listed as the "Hollywood of the East" and there have been numerous movies made on location there! See http://www.hollywoodnc.com/

Myrtle Beach, SC is another option. Just an 1.5 hours south of Wilmington/Wrightsville Beach is Myrtle Beach where, whatever your age, you'll find plenty of stuff to do there. It is an awesome place. Break away from the beach long enough to check out Broadway At The Beach, which is built around a lake. It has a volcano that erupts! There's Ripley's Aquarium located there- and just tons of stuff to do/see- not just shopping. Myrtle Beach has a brand new beautiful boardwalk that stretches 1.2 miles and TONS of entertainment in the summer (every night - concerts, carnival, fireworks, etc.) along the new boardwalk. There is dining, gift shops, arcades and an absolutely gorgeous, clean beach.

Here's yet another option for you - I have a friend who lives in Knoxville. She goes to the closest beach to her which is at Tybee Island, GA. It's 383 miles, 6 hours 18 minutes from Chattanooga, TN. This is another nice beach.

Well, have fun wherever you end up at!

I am from KY and your comment offends me: North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Alabama, Kentucky, Virginia, or Georgia? Which of these southern Appalachian states is your favorite? Not-so-favorite? Why? Favorites: 1. Alabama. Nice people, gorgeous scenery, has the beaches at the south end of the state. Lots of history and culture, a great state! 2. Tennessee. Great mountain scenery, lots to do in the Smokies, Nashville and Memphis are great cities! I wouldn't mind living in Greater Memphis (not the inner city area, though, b/c it's crime-ridden and grimy.) Overall, another great state! 3. North Carolina. Honestly, I've never been there, but I just think I'd like it. 2. Kentucky. There are two types of people in Kentucky: 1. rich, uptight snobs and 2. poor, white trash people who are still pretentious. Some of the worst people I've ever met are there. The scenery is GREAT, tho Apparently, you haven't been introduced to the right people. Bye the way, learn how to spell. LOL

Carolina Beach, NC

Hilton Head Island, SC is 2.5 hrs closer