How do a lay sod, and get it to take root?

I have a really weedy area in my lawn that I'm trying to sod. I already pulled and dug up the weeds, but there are still some roots in the soil. Is this ok, or will the weeds just grow back through the sod? Also is it really necessary to roll over the sod after it's laid? A friend told me I should.

Favorite Answer

I laid down new sod at a house we built about 5 years ago. Preparation is the key to success. Use Round Up to kill the weeds and existing grass. After applying the Round Up, wait about a week to verify it's actually working. I found that I missed a couple of spots, so this waiting period let me come back and reapply the killer. Wait a day or two for this second application to begin working. If you have access to a rototiller, use it to loosen up the ground. You really only need to go down a few inches. Remove any rocks, sticks or large debris. Purchase some starter fertilizer and apply it the freshly worked soil. Use a wide, aluminum rake to mix the fertilizer into the soil and level it. On the day of your sod delivery, immediately begin positioning and cutting the sod. Try to use a single path in your tilled yard, to avoid compacting the soil. As you complete a section, give it a good application of water. The new sod doesn't have a good root system, so this first application of water is critical to it staying alive and taking root. I didn't use a roller on mine and had no problems. After about a month, the roots in the new sod had taken hold. Water the sod every day for the first couple of weeks. Typically, new sod is laid down in the Fall, when it's cooler outside. Doing it in the heat of the Summer may kill the new sod, since it's already under a lot of distress after being cut out of the ground.

I have included the source I used when I redid our lawn.

level the soil out with a rake lay the sod (green side up) lol and keep it watered

Source(s): p

before you put the sod down, sprinkle epsom salts on the ground, that will help it to root