? asked in 社會及文化語言 · 1 decade ago

proof-reading

'the only responses we have been received over the years have been empty words and broken promises.'

the correct ans is to change 'have' to 'has',buy why?explanation will be appreciated.

I still don't understand why the focus is on 'the only' but not 'responses'.Isn't the subject 'responses'?

and why 'both is' and 'are' can be correct answer but not 'has' and 'have'?

Rating
  • Preesa
    Favorite Answer

答案: 用 'has' 因為個 subject 焦點是 'the only'.

補充資料一:

The only responses we have been received over the years has been empty words and broken promises.

We can rewrite the above sentence as the following:

The only responses we have been received over the years that has been empty words and broken promises.

'That' 在一句句子可被略去. 因為有其他文化的錯誤所以答案不是加 'that'.

補充資料二:

而 only 中文是解 '唯一' 或 '只', 有少少被人錯概念係 'only' 後面只可跟單數名詞. Indeed, 不一定. 這裡因為 'reponses' 回應可有好多個, 但只對一樣東西或一件事回應. 所以 'only' 後面可用復數的 'responses'. 例如, 我們對政府的某個 政策作了很多的回應 , 所以 'the only responses... has been...'.

2010-06-16 23:53:17 補充:

If you don't really understand, please supplement your question.

2010-06-17 13:40:59 補充:

'The only responses we have received over the year are empty words and broken promises.'

The above sentence isn't correct. If you'd like to use present tense, it should be:

'The only responses we have received over the years is empty words and broken promises.'

2010-06-17 13:41:09 補充:

Or we can use 'are' as the follows (004's answer):

'The responses we have received over the year are empty words and broken promises.'

2010-06-17 13:57:05 補充:

No, not both of them are correct. It depends on the subject you use.

If you use 'the only responses' as the subject, then the verb 'has' should be used. But if you want to use present tense, then use 'is', not 'are'.

2010-06-17 13:57:46 補充:

However, if the subject is 'the responses', then the verb 'have' should be used.

2010-06-17 14:10:20 補充:

(1.) 'The only response we have been received over the years has been...'

(2.) 'The only responses we have been received over the years has been...'

(1.) and (2.) 的中文解釋都是 '我們多年以來一直收到的回應', 對嗎?

但若我們只看中文, 不可知道到底回應有多少個, 因為中文的文化裡沒有英文這樣的功能, 這也是英文作為法律語言的最佳選擇的原因.

2010-06-17 14:17:04 補充:

If you still can't get it, please add me (and tell me who you are). You have my words that I'll be very patient to explain it till you understand.

2010-06-17 14:22:25 補充:

你不懂這文化也是正常, 不用介懷, 因為這種文化一般讀中七的學生若英文沒有 C 或以上也未必知.

2010-06-19 17:40:47 補充:

I'm glad that you could understand it.

By the way, I don't think present simple tense should be used here as '..we have been received...' was used.

Source(s): my knowledge
  • F.P.

If you want to keep the words 'responses', 'received' and 'only', the sentences can be rephrased as:

The responses we have received over the years are only empty words and broken promises.

That makes the sentence simple and stright-forward.

2010-06-17 14:08:53 補充:

Correct me if I am wrong. I take it that you mean the correct sentence is 'The only responses ........ has been empty words and broken promises.' I do not see any reason of using 'has/have been' instead of 'are'.

2010-06-18 07:54:37 補充:

'we have been received' is wrong (passive voice). It should be 'we have received'.

• mwl_r

lai***:

It appears to me the sentence should be written as ' The only responses we have received over the year are empty words and broken promises. ' by

reason that a sentence in simple present tense as such is already good

enough to express the meaning it wants to convey.

2010-06-17 00:22:25 補充:

lai***:I regret that I negligently mistyped simple present tense for present perfect tense

in the above answer.

Source(s): nil, nil