What things are there to do on the ride to Chichen Itza from playa del carmen?

I read a review somewhere that said that a couple rented a car and took a small road trip from playa del carmen to Chichen Itza and it was the most amazing thing they did because of the stops they made on the way there. My question is what is there to stop and see on the way there that i might want to partake in.

Favorite Answer

You will pass many interesting things. I suspect the route you would take would be south to Tulum before going northwest to Valladolid, then west on the 180 to Piste and Chichen itza.

With this route you would pass the ruins at Tulumn, & Coba as well about 20 minutes north of Valladolid are the ruins of Ek Balam. Valladolid has a nice central area with colonial buildings.

You will also pass many Cenotes (Zaci & Ik Kil likely the most famous).

The restored church/convent in Uayma (near Valladolid) is very unique.

It's hard to do much in a day since Chichen Itza is impressive and it's a full day to see that but if you overnight then that will give you more time plus you can see the sound and light show at Chichen Itza. You could over night in Valladolid or Chichen Itza or an hour past the ruins is Itzamal, also very impressive but maybe too far if you are trying not to spend too much time away from your resort in PDC.

As for the toll road cost, it's expensive but if you go south to Tulum and hook up with the toll road at Valladolid you will miss one of the toll stations so that will save you some $$. If you take the toll road the entire way from Cancun to Chichen Itza count on about $30 each way. If you go Tulum->Coba->Valladolid->Chichen Itza route then it's about $12 each way. The toll roads take pesos only, no US dollars, no credit cards.

Source(s): This is a good website on the Yucatan State outside of the normal tourist areas: http://yucatantoday.com/ You can also google any of the specific sites I mentioned you'll find something on all of them.

I would say go to Riviera Maya, Mexico and stay at Iberostar Paraiso Del Mar which includes all your meals and lots of activites. Google it to look at the hotel. It is half way between Playa Del Carmen and Cancun. Playa Del Carmen is more family oriented and Cancun is all partying with not that many all inclusive hotels. Everything you want to do, I have done in both vacations that I was there. We were not too far from any of the excursions so it wasn't an all day affair on a bus. If you want to budget money, an all-inclusive is the way to go. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask me.

A couple things you may want to consider before renting a car. You must be 21 and some 25 years old to rent a car and then there is the charge for kilometers and that can be as high as 40 cents per km. Chichen Itza is 500 km return from PDC . Add the cost of Gas and insurance

Also you will have to go through Cancun to get there from PDC.

Bus tours are far safer and easier.

I have been there but from a different approach