When should you wear an ESD bracelet?

I have to put apart my PC and put it back together for a project for school. I was told to wear an ESD bracelet to prevent static buildup... So, should I wear it always from beginning to end? I know I have to disconnect the PC power cable and all... So I should wear it always from beginning to end?

Favorite Answer

It never hurts to wear the ESD bracelet while working on electronics. It can become downright necessary in a low-humidity, high static environment like the middle of winter.

That being said, I haven't bothered with one for years. I am very careful, however, to touch the metal case frequently, and before I start touching anything, especially memory or a cpu. ESD bracelets keep you from building up a static charge without having to think about it constantly. I can see why a school project would require them.

• sosguy

Yes - wear it from beginning to end. Static electricity can be deadly to the components of a computer.