How long could an average person go without sleep before dying?

I don't mean the VOLUNTARY record, which ranges from 11 days to several decades depending on who you trust. I mean, if an average person is FORCED to go completely without sleep, how long would he live? (Like, when a lab rat is balanced on a small platform floating on water, it can't sleep because... show more I don't mean the VOLUNTARY record, which ranges from 11 days to several decades depending on who you trust.

I mean, if an average person is FORCED to go completely without sleep, how long would he live? (Like, when a lab rat is balanced on a small platform floating on water, it can't sleep because it'll fall in and wake up to prevent itself from drowning. The rat dies after about a month.)

I read in a fictional novel that when the Nazis experimented with this, and people died within a couple days, but it was mentioned very offhandedly and I'm not sure how accurate it is.

I'm not sleep deprived or anything. I'm just curious. And yeah, I know that you don't die directly from lack of sleep, but because of going insane/weakened immune system/etc.

I don't know how many people would know something like this off the top of their heads, but I figure it's worth a shot.