Can I survive in a college dorm without buying a college meal plan?

Next semester I'll be moving into a campus dorm, however, I won't have the convenience of a kitchen. Most kids living on campus end up buying really expensive meal plans for thousands of dollars per semester. Well, I'm kinda nervous about how much money I'll have left over after paying for a dorm,... show more Next semester I'll be moving into a campus dorm, however, I won't have the convenience of a kitchen. Most kids living on campus end up buying really expensive meal plans for thousands of dollars per semester. Well, I'm kinda nervous about how much money I'll have left over after paying for a dorm, so I was wondering if I could get away without buying a meal plan.

I already own a set of knives and a crockpot. Surely I could sneak stuff like that into a dorm. The only thing I'll have to buy is a plastic cutting board and a mini-fridge. In fact, I'm pretty sure I can get a dorm that comes with a mini-fridge for only a little extra. So I can make plenty of cold meals... and I can make warm meals.

Is this a good idea in place of a meal plan? Or will I find out the hard way that I can't cook enough stuff in a crockpot to ensure survival?
Update: The reason I think this would be cheaper is that I don't eat any where near $1000+ in groceries per semester. I can make a whole meal for myself for $10 or less and have it last me an entire week. With a college meal plan, they assume I'm willing to pay $7+ for every meal I eat. Plus, a lot of what they... show more The reason I think this would be cheaper is that I don't eat any where near $1000+ in groceries per semester. I can make a whole meal for myself for $10 or less and have it last me an entire week. With a college meal plan, they assume I'm willing to pay $7+ for every meal I eat. Plus, a lot of what they serve is fast-food kinda stuff. I don't want to die of an early heart-attack!
Update 2: Plus, I'm always being invited to have dinner with families from church. That also subtracts from my monthly food expenses.